Food Bank For New York City recognizes 29 years as the city's major hunger-relief organization working to end food poverty throughout the five boroughs. As one of the country's largest food banks, our mission is to end hunger in New York City by organizing food, information and support for community survival and dignity. As the city's hub for integrated food poverty assistance, the Food Bank tackles the hunger issue on three fronts — food distribution, income support and nutrition education — all strategically guided by its research.
Primary Purpose of the Job:
The VP of Communications and Strategic Engagement, reporting to the Food Bank's President and CEO, is responsible for initiating, implementing, and facilitating a comprehensive range of activities that strengthen the work and visibility of the Food Bank and its programming.
Principal responsibilities include the development and execution of a coherent marketing, communications and engagement program, including effective positioning, messaging, editorial development, media relations, stakeholder outreach, events, and select partner relations. This position will accomplish this by increasing the visibility and brand awareness of the Food Bank For New York City among existing, new and targeted audiences by identifying unique opportunities and cultivating strategic partnerships within and across a variety of markets, programs and industries. Partner with FBNYC senior team, members, thought leaders and colleagues to engage influential public figures in mission-driven campaigns to drive positive, meaningful systemic change for New Yorkers facing hunger. The successful candidate will demonstrate a clear commitment to the importance of excellent public education, exceptionally strong communications skills, solid experience in stakeholder engagement, excellent project management skills, and the ability to manage complex internal and external relationships. The VP of Communications and Strategic Engagement will lead the team responsible for launching a new leadership board focused on fundraising, event development and niche penetration. While the successful candidate will work across the organization, s/he will work closely with various departments within the External Relations and Programs divisions for maximum impact in the development of the Food Bank brand, connection with a more diversified audience and to ensure consistent and significant revenue generation to fulfill the mission and goals of the organization.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conceptualize and implement strategies for building brand awareness opportunities for the Food Bank within specific and targeted industries, communities and sects. (including but not limited to fashion, entertainment, social and urban professional)
- Supervise the Directors and respective teams for Marketing and Communications and Engagement which covers the Food Bank's social media, marketing campaigns, events and volunteer services.
- Launch and manage the Food Bank's leadership board for young professionals positioning the group for cultivation and seeding for future board membership
- Launch and manage a new President's Council leadership track targeting content/industry experts, thought leaders and etc. to serve the Food Bank in moving its mission, reach and response forward.
- Lead and improve upon existing Food Bank signature events (Can Do, Retail Side events and advocacy) ensuring a reduction of costs and an increase in strategy, awareness and impact.
- Lead the execution of NEW Food Bank events serving as fundraisers for new audiences, industries and etc.
- Lead the organization wide effort to increase the diversity in the pool of supporters, friends and donors to better reflect the makeup of New Yorkers.
- Design programs, cultivation events and marketing efforts to engage current and prospective members/resources (e.g. Culinary Council) in the Food Bank's work
- Develop a broad marketing and communications strategy and ensure that the Food Bank's work is visible and influential; manage the ongoing execution of that strategy
- Create a series of engagements and tools to educate public figures on how to use their celebrity status to raise awareness and drive social change
- Work with the President's executive administrative team to connect Food Bank board members to events, activities and programs needed to ensure their deepened engagement and connection to the mission.
- Manage the process of cultivation for various special prospects ensuring a mission based orientation, service activation and/or financial contribution.
- Convert dormant and underutilized organization resources (such as celebrities) into organization champions allowing the Food Bank to benefit from their position in and connection to various industries, audiences and sects.
- Draft concept papers on behalf of President's office to ensure an accurate actualization and implementation of new and re-imagined relationships.
- Represent the Food Bank's executive office with stellar professionalism and decorum
- Supervise, support and evaluate assigned staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience with demonstrated success in brand development and management, fundraising, cultivation, event planning and donor activation
- Previous experience and success as a manager of multiple units, staffing of various
- Excellent portfolio management skills with the proven ability to develop and grow high-yield relationships
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills and attention to detail; ability to infuse creativity, innovation and insight into the development of concept papers.
- Must possess an entrepreneurial spirit resulting in creative approaches to strategy, engagement and donor cultivation
- Experience managing volunteer, media and communications efforts, including the development of message points and communication strategies for high profile partners.
- Familiarity with the NYC giving community and demonstrated success therein is a must
- Ability to work with flexibility, efficiency, enthusiasm and diplomacy both individually and as part of a complex team effort
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure, with a history of success in roles requiring creative and critical thinking while managing multiple priorities in a highly dynamic environment
- Effective listening skills, with intellectual curiosity, honesty and sense of humor
- Experience working with professional athletes and/or entertainers preferred
- Demonstrated ability to convert cold calls into donors/champions/supporters
- Demonstrated independent judgment and problem-solving skills;
- Innovative, proactive, high energy person with excellent interpersonal skills is a must.
- Proficiency in managing budgets.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel).
- Experience in or knowledge of social services issues is a MUST; experience in hunger is a plus.
idealist.org - 14 months ago