Thrillist Media Group (“TMG”) is the convergence of leading men’s digital lifestyle publication Thrillist.com and members-only shopping club JackThreads.com. TMG collectively reaches millions of guys, targeting a young, urban, male demographic locally and nationally, online and offline, through content and commerce.
TMG is seeking a VP Finance with the experience and leadership skills to continue to develop an accounting team and financial reporting infrastructure that can support our rapidly growing business. The accounting team today has 11 staff, including an Accounting Manager, a Director of Inventory Accounting and Reporting, a staff accountant and a 5 person accounts payable team. The accounting team supports both the media business and the ecommerce business, and deals with issues that range from advertising sales revenue recognition to cost accounting and inventory reporting issues. As the company continues its rapid pace of growth, the VP Finance will be responsible for developing and managing the growth of the accounting team, leading initiatives to implement technology solutions to improve accuracy and team efficiency, review and implement internal controls as needed, and develop new reporting solutions to help support rapid decision making across the organization.
The ideal candidate is a CPA with 15+ years of accounting and finance experience (including public accounting), has a passion for entrepreneurship, and is looking to join a fast-paced organization. The position is based in New York, NY.
- Management of accounting and payroll functions, ensuring timely and accurate financial and management reporting. This includes delivering timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial & management reporting with variance analysis and insights to help support decision making.
- Management of FP&A process, including working with the senior management team on the development of annual budgets, forecasts and KPI reporting tools. Participate and support long term planning processes throughout the year.
- Become the primary resource for senior managers throughout the organization on all matters related to financial reporting, budget and forecast management and financial KPI reporting.
- Lead the accounting team in identifying opportunities to streamline processes and procedures, and technology solutions that will improve workflow, efficiency, and accuracy of the accounting team.
- Treasury functions, including cash management, oversight of credit facilities with banks and factors and maintenance of cash flow plan.
- Oversight of tax and state regulatory compliance, including ongoing reviews of sales tax nexus issues and timely filing of required returns.
- Review and development of appropriate internal controls across the organization to ensure safeguarding of assets and accurate financial reporting, and development of process narratives to document internal control framework.
- Management of the annual audit, regular interactions with auditors on critical reporting issues, and management of annual internal control reviews.
- Manage the use of outside counsel to support general corporate and employment matters.
- 15+ years of accounting / finance experience, including a minimum of 4 years of public accounting experience, and experience in a retail / e-commerce business that holds and sells inventory
- Highly proactive and motivated self-starter that will thrive in a fast paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Experience managing, developing and growing an accounting team in a high growth environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills across all levels of the organization, from the board room to the warehouse.
- Strong technology know-how specific to accounting and related systems, with the ability to lead the implementation of new systems, and help the team maximize the capabilities of current systems.
- Analytical and detail oriented with well-developed financial analysis capabilities.
Thrillist - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard