TSTC is the only state-supported technical college system in Texas. TSTC's statewide role and mission is to efficiently and effectively help Texas meet the high-tech challenges of today's global economy, in partnership with business and industry, government agencies, and other educational institutions. If this is a mission you could support and help TSTC achieve, please complete our application process.
TSTC is looking for an energetic, self-motivated, and knowlegeable Veterans Program Officer (VPO). The Veterans Program Officer will serve as a centralized point of contact to assist prospective and current veteran, veteran dependent, and active-duty military students with navigating college resources to ensure a successful college experience. The Veterans Program Officer will serve as an advocate for student veterans and act as a liaison between the student and other college offices, community resources and Veteran Affairs – Educational Department. The VPO will also be a Veterans Certifying Official for veterans benefit programs.
Duties and responsibilities
- Assist veterans with admissions, financial aid, and enrollment procedures
- Process and manage veteran’s educational benefits paperwork in accordance with Federal and State guidelines.
- Provide advisement support
- Assist with veterans events
- Coordinate referrals for veterans and dependents with appropriate resources on and off campus
- Serve as a liaison between student and local, state, and/or federal agencies
- Assist the students with on-line processes
- Collaborate with other offices on campus to meet the needs of veteran students
- Assist with other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor Degree in appropriate field from an accredited college or university.
- Two years of experience in higher education, admissions, financial aid, and/or veterans programs.
- Should have knowledge of curriculum and degree plan requirements
- Technological skills, including but not limited to using Microsoft Office products.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Extensive knowledge and interpretation skills of regulations relating to veterans programs and higher education topics.
- Background check will be required.
Preferred Experience, skills, training/education:
- Familiarity with Montgomery G.I. Bill benefits
- VA online reporting tool - VAOnce
- Texas Hazlewood Act
- Prefer prior military service
- Proficiency handling multiple responsibilities and priorities.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Bilingual helpful.