The Veterans Assistance Commission has an opening in their department for a Veterans Service Officer Trainee. This position will be responsible for a variety of administrative support functions for the Veterans Assistance Commission. The Trainee will be required to attend training seminars in order to present claims on behalf of veterans to the US Department of Veterans Affairs and certify as an accredited Veterans Service Officer for the Veterans Assistance Commission.
Salary: $15.00 per hour
Hours: Part Time, 19.2 hours per week
About the Position:
This position will be responsible for a variety of administrative support functions for the Veterans Assistance Commission. Work involves counseling and assisting veterans and their dependents of beneficiaries regarding veteran’s benefits and other services. The Trainee will be required to attend training seminars in order to present claims on behalf of veterans to the US Department of Veterans Affairs and certify as an accredited Veterans Service Officer for the Veterans Assistance Commission.
- Formats and composes letters, memos, reports, fliers and other correspondence.
- Interacts with the public to respond to inquiries and requests via telephone, e-mail and various forms of electronic social media.
- Logs, tracks and maintains records on Commission and unit activities.
- Reviews, checks and processes invoices, requisitions and other documents.
- The candidate will provide general customer service and other duties as assigned.
- The candidate will learn and be expected to perform all functions within the Veterans Assistance Commission office.
- Interview clients and match client needs with services offered by the Veterans Assistance Commission, Federal, State or Local Agencies.
- The individual may interact and coordinate with other departments such as Court Services, the McHenry County Jail, as well as the US Department of Veterans Affairs to provide services to eligible veterans.
- Must be a veteran (DD-214 required) attach at time of application.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and Excel and pass an office skills examination.
- Must type at least 35 WPM
- Must possess the ability to multitask
- Must be willing to travel within the County and must be willing to attend training seminars
- Applicant must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be capable of leading group presentations.
- Applicant must be able to analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Applicant must be able to complete the training program within 18 months. Training includes out of state travel for accreditation training as an entry level Veterans Service Officer.
- Associates degree or higher a plus but NOT a requirement.
Part Time employees are eligible for personal, holidays and vacation time.
No applicant for employment shall be discriminated against because of age, race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin or disability. Please click on the link below to apply and submit your resume to us online. This is the fastest and most reliable way to be considered for any of our positions. If you wish to submit a paper application, please click on the "Applications" link to the left.
McHenry County Government Center - 6 months ago