KIND OF WORK PERFORMED: Under the general direction of the
CEO, serves as or appoints a designated chief spokesperson. Responsible for the
planning, managing and implementation of business units such as Business
Development and Agency Sales, Customer Service, Marketing, Government Relations
and Public/Media Relations. Responsible for market research tied to the public
communications/outreach function, which also provides critical public input into
the Strategic and Regional Transportation Planning process.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
(not intended to be all inclusive)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Works as an extension of the CEO, thinking and
- Directs all activities relative to ensuring
proactive governmental, community, and media relations,
inclusive of local, state and federal lobbying initiatives.
- Responsible for effective communications with
appropriate government staffs; e.g., Mayor’s office, City
Council, State and Federal Legislators.
- Assures the effective delivery of the JTA’s
vision, mission, brand management and organizational
- Manages the Agency’s communications and
- Ensures effective coordination with JTA
planning, and operating units and strategies for effectively
dealing with these entities.
- Facilitates all community relations and
- Determines community representation on
internal JTA committees, as needed.
- Seeks out external boards and committees for
internal JTA staff participation to show good community
- Drives all non-traditional, contributed
- Researches, develops, and produces JTA cable
- Handles confidential materials and
- Develops and manages Agency community
- Develops and manages an Agency Speaker’s
- Remains current on new industry trends,
methods and technologies.
- Interviews, selects, supervises, develops,
evaluates, and counsels subordinate personnel in accordance with
established policies, procedures and guidelines to include Equal
Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) and DBE/SBE
Program goals and objectives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Proven management ability encompassing the
development and implementation of strategic goals and
objectives, setting and evaluating priorities.
- The ability to develop and translate strategic
vision into plans for implementation and execution.
- A strong work ethic to produce a focused,
dedicated work team – among both internal and external
stakeholders – with a focus on collaboration, mentoring,
nurturing and the delivery of exceeded-goals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, capable of
relating effectively to a diverse range of people.
- Experience conducting analysis and managing
- A track record in budget management,
stewardship and developing proven strategies to build program
- Proven management ability in budget,
stewardship, and developing proven strategies to build
multi-faceted external affairs and development programs.
- Experience as a change agent, operating at the
highest level of an organization.
- Direct experience working within government
and political environments, and in working with lobbyists,
elected officials and opinion leaders.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both
orally and in writing, with sensitivity, passion, and a focus on
unity and equity.
- Considerable knowledge of all laws, rules and
regulations relating to the program areas within your authority.
- A career track record that shows the stability
with organizations and the capacity to develop and nurture
relationships that culminates in overall success.
- Ability to be technologically savvy, and use
resources necessary to make the organization more efficient and
Ten years of comprehensive external affairs and development experience in the
public transportation industry, as well as experience in developing successful
community and business partnerships that drove public consensus and private
sector revenue partners.
Prior Executive Management experience preferably as a department or division
Proven success in organizational transformation, resulting in improved
efficiency, effectiveness and an enhanced brand value.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties
to be performed.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position
that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and
responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to
possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the abilities
and aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise,
other than an “at will” employment relationship.
Jacksonville Transportation Authority. - 19 months ago
JTA continues to make our existing services better and more efficient. We are looking at ways to reduce the number of routes while still...