The Vice President, Intermodal, will be responsible for originating and executing Intermodal investment transactions globally. This would include intermodal containers, ports and port equipment, and other related intermodal equipment or assets. This role will be working within a new fund specifically established to make investments in transportation assets across sectors including Intermodal, Aviation, Offshore and related transportation areas. The fund currently has approximately $400mm of committed capital.
The candidate’s focus would be to originate and execute container investment transactions as well as other related intermodal opportunities. Responsibilities include sourcing new investment ideas including acquisitions and sales and leasebacks, underwriting transactions and managing the existing portfolio as well as new investments through realization. In addition, the candidate would be responsible for identifying and developing relationships with potential joint venture or operating partners.
The position is envisioned to be based in New York; but the candidate would be expected to travel to Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America for work on new investment opportunities. He/she will function as a cohesive member of the Fortress team and interface comfortably both with colleagues within the firm as well as external business partners.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Sourcing, identifying and screening prospective investments that meet the objectives of the Group.
- Analyzing specific investment opportunities and preparing proposals, including financial analysis, valuation and modeling.
- Understanding the technical aspects of an investment opportunity and where necessary, managing third party technical experts to assist in underwriting and analysis of new and existing investments.
- Financial structuring including working with a variety of capital providers.
- Managing existing assets which includes determining the most appropriate courses of action to maximize returns on the investment and ultimately exit the investments.
- Leading commercial and financial negotiations for new investments and existing portfolio restructurings, including the timing and structuring of exits.
- Developing solid relationships and communicating effectively with members of the Fortress team.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with liner companies, port and logistic companies as well as other companies in the Intermodal supply chain. In addition, the candidate would be responsible for relationships with sector bankers, brokers, accountants, attorneys and consultants for referrals to potential investment opportunities.
The Vice President is expected to bring a track record in the Intermodal sector with a minimum of ten (10) years direct experience interacting with liner companies and port operators. Additionally the candidate will have a background making investment decisions or a commercial background such that they can act independently to develop opportunities and articulate an investment thesis. Experience in structuring transactions, including joint ventures, funding and utilizing the capital markets to capitalize and grow investment opportunities is a plus.
The ideal candidate will bring significant contacts within the liner companies and as well as companies in the Intermodal supply chain along with a reputation for ethics, integrity, and performance. The individual should be able to readily originate transactions, and be seen as someone who industry executives would be comfortable conducting business with.
Additionally, the ideal candidate must:
- Have unimpeachable integrity and an uncompromised reputation.
- Enjoy working in a team-oriented professional and partnership culture, where ideas are shared openly and employees at all levels are encouraged – and expected – to participate.
- Possess a high degree of self-motivation and energy, the ability to drive for results, and track record of setting and achieving goals and meeting schedules.
- Make an immediately positive impression and have the ability to develop and leverage relationships across a wide range of professional peers.
- Have conceptual and analytical skills to understand, articulate, and execute the firm’s investment approach.
- Possess strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, and have the ability to clearly articulate complex concepts and ideas.
- Possess the presence, maturity, and credibility to present effectively to external investors, partners and colleagues.
- Understands business in the private equity world and can navigate effectively.
- Can hold steady in tough negotiations and turn resistance into acceptance and possibly support.
- Ability and willingness to travel as frequently as needed and on short notice.
Fortress Investment Group LLC - 23 months ago