Vice President, Operations
Natera is a molecular diagnostics company with the mission of helping families worldwide have healthy children. Our proprietary bioinformatics technology delivers uniquely accurate and comprehensive testing for reproductive indications from tiny quantities of child DNA – as small as that from a single cell. The technology has been funded by six grants from the NIH and a group of top tier healthcare and IT-focused venture capital firms, such as Sequoia Capital. Natera’s operates a CLIA laboratory in San Carlos, CA and our tests are used across five continents. Tests include preimplantation genetic diagnosis to analyze chromosomal anomalies or inherited genetic conditions to select embryos with the highest probability of becoming healthy children; miscarriage testing to rapidly and extensively analyze miscarriage tissue to understand the cause of loss; high throughput carrier screening, to test parents for a wide range of genetic conditions that could affect the child; non-invasive prenatal paternity testing to determine the paternity of a pregnancy by analyzing fragments of fetal DNA in a pregnant mother's blood; and non-invasive prenatal diagnosis (NIPD), to detect fetal chromosomal anomalies with unparalleled accuracy in the first trimester using a standard blood draw from the mother.
You will manage the operations of the team, reporting to either the COO or the CEO. You will also interface with the following members of senior management: CTO, General Counsel, VP Sales, VP Research (Bio) and VP Research (Informatics). Your key responsibility will be to manage a laboratory operation in meeting aggressive milestones. That will require motivational management, thorough planning, the ability to delve deep into technical issues and troubleshoot based on analyzing lab-generated data, and the ability to step back and maintain a perspective on the business. A key element of operations will be streamlining a CLIA diagnostic laboratory and automating as many processes as feasible. A certification from the American College of Medical Genetics would be a big plus, but is not required. You will be involved in financial planning, sales, business development strategy and responding to regulatory issues that arise in different worldwide markets. Initially, you will head a team of roughly 50 people, including laboratory staff and operations support staff who interface with doctors, labs, clinics and hospitals.
The team is a highly motivated and highly skilled group of professionals based in the San Francisco Bay Area but with members located around the world, including New York and Boston.
- Eight years of experience in managing operations in a biotech company, preferably a diagnostic laboratory, with special emphasis on complex genetic diagnostics. Candidate should have rolled his/her sleeves in managing technology development, and brought new technology to the market.
- Candidate must have excellent communication skills and a demonstrated ability to manage a highly skilled and highly motivated group of professionals.
- Knowledge of peri-natal diagnostics is preferred.
- An American College of Medical Genetics Certification would be a plus.
- Experience with sequencing platforms preferred.
- Advanced technical degree with some component in medical or biological sciences is required.
- Roughly 8 years management experience in a fast-paced biotechnology company.
- Biotechnology background is key, particularly lab services for complex diagnostics.
- Preferred: Experience with peri-natal diagnostics, high-throughput genetic diagnostics, complex data analysis, lab automation.
- Technical Masters or Ph.D. required.
- Background in medical or biological sciences preferred.
- ACMG lab director certification is a plus.
Natera affords equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression, veteran or marital status.
Natera - 13 months ago
Natera is driven by a passion for elevating the science and utility of prenatal testing. The advent of the Information Age has created a...