This position will serve as the operational supervisor for matters relating to the Security Department’s staffing plans, budget, and strategy for support of the NBA and NBA International. This position will be the operational point of contact for all security matters related to NBA/WNBA/D-League games and special events, and will be the primary security coordinator for the All-Star game as well as selected USAB events. This position reports directly to the Senior Vice President, Security.
• Manage day to day requirements for arena related issues (audits, NBA security manager visits to arenas).
• Tracking of arena visits, results and compliance issues and corrective action.
• Analysis of arena related data to determine next steps, trends, issues, best practice sharing (with other Leagues and among other arenas and venues).
• Set arena policy on security, prepare and distribute arena updated guidelines to all arenas (includes training if required).
• Manage relationships with selected vendors (and other departments) and monitor threat/risk activity for executive, special events, and other interests (players, refs, etc as directed)
• Scheduling of security managers in both NY and NJ to ensure office coverage for regular and holiday work weeks. Approval of travel for advance planning, arena audits, and other responsibilities.
• Supervision of player investigations (interviews, creating transcripts, creating a file for an investigation, maintaining the database).
• Conduct and manage special investigations (coaches, etc.) and serve as primary liaison with Basketball Operations to communicate results
• Technology – benchmark best practices of other leagues to ensure that the use of technology (tools) to monitor threats and protect the league is the most effective available
• Managing all security planning, contingency planning, and security department logistics for All-Star, Olympics, and other special events as designated by the Department Head.
• Support the Events department as well as Player Development by overseeing the security planning process for preseason and regular season games, basketball camps, Community Relations events, and player appearances.
• Manage the background check process for the scorer’s table, owners and others as appropriate, in consultation with Legal.
• Supervise Arena Security Representatives through the individual security managers responsible for those teams, to include monitoring audit process and managing the security manager’s travel schedule.
• Some limited domestic and international travel required.
• Business acumen - understands the NBA, the sports industry, and industry trends and uses that knowledge to recommend effective solutions.
• People acumen – proven leadership and ability to build relationships at all levels across multiple lines of business and functional levels.
• Ability to collaborate with others and willing to speak up with a point of view.
• Entrepreneurial orientation to proactively identify issues and offer solutions.
• Strong work ethic with sense of urgency to resolve issues promptly.
• Customer facing; strong presentation and negotiating skills.
• Comfortable managing the strategic aspects as well as the tactical details of projects.
• Superior communication and presentation skills.
• Effective in an energetic and fast paced culture.
• Ability to multi-task and keen attention to detail.
• Possess integrity and honesty and behaves in a manner consistent with the NBA’s mission and values.
• Ability to help set strategic direction and to present to senior management.
• Strong project management skills and demonstrated expertise in managing projects with companywide impact.
• Thrives in a fast-paced, high growth environment.
• Team player who is approachable and supportive; able to think strategically but is also comfortable doing the analytical work required.
• Excellent Excel skills (proven proficiency utilizing lookup tables, pivot tables, advanced formulas).
• Minimum of fifteen (15) years law enforcement experience
• Experience managing budgets and security related systems
• Experience managing and supervising a team
Educational Background Required
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university; master’s degree preferred
The NBA is a global sports and media business built around three professional sports leagues: the National Basketball Association, the...