KIND OF WORK PERFORMED: Under the general direction of the
CEO, the position is responsible for the safe, secure, effective and efficient
operation of JTA passenger transportation services to include the planning,
management, operation and maintenance of all transport vehicles related to JTA’s
public transit system. Responsible for the productivity and accountability of
workforce engaged in providing passenger transit service and service planning on
behalf of JTA.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
(not intended to be all inclusive)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Works as an extension of the CEO, thinking and
- Directs the planning, management and operation
of all passenger transit services of the JTA/JTM, including
fixed route bus services, paratransit services, the skyway,
neighborhood shuttle, and maintenance.
- Manages and directs all short-term service
planning pre/post improvements initiatives.
- Develops and implements an integrated
performance monitoring management system to ensure, identify,
track and correct performance delivery issues.
- Assures the achievement of the optimal
operating ratio for all transit modes, as provided in the annual
budgets and the operating and management plans.
- Ensures the quality of service provided for
all special event initiatives.
- Manages the JTA/JTM relationship with
collective bargaining units within the Mass Transit department,
including leadership and oversight of all contract negotiations,
execution and adherence to collective bargaining unit contract
negotiations and terms, handling/resolving grievances and other
related union-management working relationships and issues.
- Responsible for the proper maintenance and
control of all physical assets used in providing multi-modal
passenger transit services.
- Responsible for the management and
professional development of the staff within the operating
units, for establishing development and operating goals for each
manager, and for assisting these managers in achieving their
personal goals and the goals of their units.
- Recommends to the CEO all major purchases such
as buses, equipment and facilities upgrades, consistent with the
transit capital and operating budgets.
- Works collaboratively with the CEO’s Executive
Team to enhance the JTA’s reputation for excellence through best
practices reviews, accountability for performance, and
- Works in conjunction with the Safety/Risk and
Facilities Divisions, responsible for regulatory compliance as
it relates to the operating units.
- Promotes proudly the importance and reputation
of JTA internally among employees and externally with the
- Responsible for related duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Proven management ability encompassing
development and implementation of strategic goals and
objectives, setting and evaluating priorities.
- The ability to translate strategic vision into
plans for implementation and execution.
- A strong work to produce. A focused,
dedicated, high performance work team among both internal and
external stakeholders, with a focus on collaboration, mentoring
nurturing and delivery of exceeded goals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, capable of
relating effectively to a diverse range of people, personalities
and styles (both internal and external).
- Experience conducting analysis and managing
- A track record in budget management,
stewardship and developing proven strategies to build a
- Experience as a change agent, operating at the
highest level of an organization.
- Ability to build strong teams, demonstrating
the skill to energize, motivate and lead to achieve objectives.
- Enhanced analytical problem solving and
critical thinking skills.
- Strong facilitation and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance as it
relates to Mass Transit and demonstrated ability to create and
maintain an organization which meets all safety standards.
- Ability to be technologically savvy, and use
resources necessary to make the organization more efficient and
Ten years of progressively responsible experience in the transit industry with
focus on operations and safety, or any equivalent combination of related
training and experience.
Prior Executive Management experience, preferably as a department or division
Proven success in organizational transformation, resulting in improved
efficiency, effectiveness and an enhanced brand value.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties
to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will
be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any
other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position
that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and
responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to
possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise,
other than an “at will” employment relationship.
Jacksonville Transportation Authority. - 17 months ago
JTA continues to make our existing services better and more efficient. We are looking at ways to reduce the number of routes while still...