Job ID: 13391
Location: San Diego, CA
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department: Executive Research - 3201
Celgene Corporation is committed to delivering innovative therapies designed to improve the lives of patients worldwide. We are a global biopharmaceutical company with operations in more than 70 countries that is helping to turn incurable cancers into chronic, manageable conditions. We are seeking talented professionals as we continue to grow and advance our efforts in oncology, hematology and immune and inflammatory disease. If you would like to join a company where you can make a difference, please consider the Celgene family.
An MD/PhD or PhD in appropriate Biological Sciences Discipline with at least 15 years industry experience with a successful track record in the discovery of novel therapeutics in Oncology, Cancer Biology or Immunology/Inflammation.
The Vice President, Discovery Biology plays a critical role in defining the strategic direction for Celgene Drug Discovery. He/She will work in close collaboration with other senior management and the Discovery Team to build a world-class discovery organization. The successful candidate for this newly created position must have extensive senior leadership experience in discovery research in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology environment. This person will have a thorough understanding of all the requirements and processes needed in drug development from target selection, to discovery into development, and ultimately registration. A demonstrated track record of leading research groups that have moved compounds into the clinic is a requisite. An in-depth knowledge of current drug discovery targets being pursued within industry and clear insight toward the future direction of novel therapeutics and an ability to critically evaluate in-licensing opportunities is essential.
Additional specific responsibilities include:
- Attracting and retaining a world class Discovery Research team and building an innovative culture that cultivates teamwork and optimizes performance and execution of Discovery Biology efforts.
- Providing scientific expertise and leadership to Discovery Biology. A primary focus and experience in the oncology therapeutic area is preferred.
- Prior experience should also include a breadth of therapeutic platform experience, ideally working with both small and large/biologic molecules.
- Building and delivering a sustainable flow of Development Candidates for clinical development consistent with agreed strategies.
- Representing the company both internally and externally with both the scientific and business communities.
- Actively assisting in seeking product and/or technology alliances with appropriate academia, government and industry partners.
- Demonstrate strong people management skills, leading by example with a high level of emotional intelligence, and be willing to work closely and collaboratively with other functional groups.
- Works with project teams to set objectives and manage multiple projects. Responsible for data review, analysis and interpretation from a variety of sources and evaluates the impact on research projects and goals. Provides input into go/no go decision points for projects.
- Effectively applies and enables state-of-the-art technologies and best practices to improve operational efficiency.
- Ensures performance standards are maintained and that experimental work is performed to a consistently high standard.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills.
- Balances leadership strength with self-awareness, confidence and humility.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
- MD/PhD or PhD in appropriate Biological Sciences Discipline; Oncology (preferred) or Inflammation/Immunology
- At least 15 years industry experience in the discovery of potential novel therapeutics
- A record of building, directing and/or reassembling highly productive teams, with a strong record of organizational experience
- Recognized as a leader in a therapeutic area of interest to Celgene Discovery, with a record of exceptional contribution in the science of research and demonstrated experience in moving potential drug candidates into development
- An innovative attitude, coupled with a strong sense of practical execution
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and clearly articulate research objectives
- A strong record mentoring and enabling career development
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to inspire subordinates, peers, and superiors
- Deep understanding of pharmacology and critical issues in drug discovery and development
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.
Employment applicants requiring immigration sponsorship must disclose, when initial application for employment is made, whether or not they are legally authorized to work in the U.S. and, if so, whether that authorization permits them to work in the job they seek. In no case should Celgene support of a potential employee’s temporary visa application be construed to guarantee success of that application or amend or otherwise invalidate the "at-will" employment relationship between the employee and Celgene.
Healthcare Jobs on Display
- 2 years ago - save job
Celgene is delivering innovative therapies to patients with unmet medical needs in cancer and inflammatory diseases.