The Prospect Park Alliance, working in partnership with City of New York and the community, restores, develops, and operates Prospect Park for the enjoyment of all by caring for the natural environment, preserving historic design, and serving the public through facilities and programs. Prospect Park is Brooklyn’s 585-acre historic flagship park, designed by the famed Olmsted and Vaux. It is the home of Brooklyn’s only lake and forest, with nature trails, numerous recreational activities, educational programs, and volunteer opportunities.
The Prospect Park Alliance seeks a Vice President for Development to boost Prospect Park Alliance’s (the Alliance’s) fundraising capacity to the next level and lead a staff in the planning and execution of all of the Alliance’s fundraising and development efforts including forging new relationships, motivating established funders and broadening outreach in order to secure financial resources.
This position will be responsible for:
Candidates for the Vice President for Development position must have:
- With guidance from the President, collaborating with staff in Marketing, Visitor Services, Special Events and Design & Construction as well as Board members and appropriate committees to create and implement fundraising strategies that support the Alliance’s ambitious campaign programs, annual goals and capital projects
- Maximizing the Alliance’s income by fully leveraging all available resources and determining optimal resource allocation
- Leading a fundraising team to solicit and secure funds and resources from individual annual and planned giving, foundation and government grants, corporate donors, major campaign support and fundraising events
- Developing strategies to attract, retain, and significantly increase participation in membership and other individual giving programs
- Building a pipeline of new and prospective individual, corporate and foundation donors with an eye for previously untapped resources
- Cultivating and strengthening relationships with current donors, foundations and corporations and Board members
- Overseeing effectiveness of systems including donor management and stewardship; donor research and cultivation; and gift processing and recognition
The ideal candidate would display creativity and resilience in response to changes in the funding environment and be familiar with Brooklyn and New York donors.
- A Bachelor’s degree and seven to ten years of non-profit development experience with at least five years of experience as a supervisor; a Master's degree is encouraged
- Proven strength in long-range planning; developing campaigns in fundraising and working directly with a Board of Directors, major donors and organizational leadership
- Experience with a full range of outreach methods including direct mail, advertising, on-site solicitation and social media, etc.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and the ability to present to, engage and influence diverse people and audiences
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to build solid relationships with internal and external stakeholders including the ability to lead and inspire a team
- The ability to multi-task and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment on both short- and long-term goals
- Computer literacy with a working knowledge of Raisers Edge and other fundraising software
- Financial/budget literacy and the ability to establish, track and report on metrics
- A drivers license valid in the state of New York and the willingness and ability to drive Parks vehicles
- Flexibility in schedule to attend fundraising and other events
- An intellectual curiosity about the environment, Prospect Park and Brooklyn and a firm commitment to the Alliance’s mission and goals
The Vice President for Development position is full-time with a salary that is commensurate with experience. This position is eligible for benefits including a tax-deferred 403(b) plan.