We are looking for a VP of Analytics to lead the analytics initiative at LearnVest. The VP of Analytics role at LearnVest is a ground floor opportunity to develop strategy, drive execution and establish a data culture within a fast growing, well funded personal finance startup.
About Learnvest’s Data:
Data is critical to our product and company: Harnessing the data within the LearnVest paltform and applying it effectively will impact the company broadly. It will allow us to make better decisions across the company, optimize our customer acquisition and conversion strategy, prioritize our business development activities and open up entire new product opportunities that complement services we offer today.
LearnVest’s data is distributed and relatively untapped: We have a strong appetite to drive more data driven decision making and tap into our data to bring innovative functionality to our core service. This is a ground floor opportunity to come in and work across the company to develop the strategy, prioritize the opportunities and lead the effort to bring the strategy to life.
- Lead the Data Sciences and Analytics Team to come up with efficient strategies and architectures for data collection from various systems and distributed processing systems (event collection and storage, data consolidation), data processing (Hadoop, Pig, Storm, ElasticSearch, etc.), data storage and warehousing (traditional dimensional modeling/OLAP, NoSQL, hybrid approaches) and data visualization
- Work closely with product management and engineering groups at LearnVest to develop a quantitative and data-driven approach to feature and product roadmap definition and marketing strategy development
- Process, combine and analyze collected data, and build tools that enable LearnVest business, product and management teams to gain insights into this data via reports, graphs, charts and other interesting data visualization techniques, making informed buy-vs-build, local-vs-cloud decisions as driven by business needs
- Work across organizations to define requirements and prioritize data initiatives.
- Define the evolution and roadmap of analytics and big data work at LearnVest, including planning for scale, efficiency, extensibility (particularly in incorporating ever expanding data sources)
- Evangelize the power and value of an analytical and test-driven approach to decision-making, and provide insights that contribute to the strategic goals of the organization
- Keep current with new technologies, services, frameworks and tools that would help maintain a continuous improvement of our analytics platform
- MS and/or BS in Computer Science or Applied Mathematics strongly preferred
- 10+ years of professional work experience, ideally in computer science or data analytics
- Strong working knowledge of applicable technologies and concepts including: data warehousing and data mining; web analytics solutions; A/B testing, BI and data visualization solutions; traditional (relational/dimensional) and well as modern (NoSQL) DB technologies; strong familiarity with big data techniques and distributed processing.
- Best in class / cutting edge analytic experience
- Strong grasp of web technologies and basic architectural principles necessary for designing scalable, extensible and maintainable web based applications and services.
- Strong analytical/modeling skills with understanding of statistical techniques, tools and advanced testing methodologies (e.g. hypothesis development, designing tests/experiments) and consulting with internal clients to develop actionable recommendations.
- Ability to balance short term tactical decisions with long term strategic thinking.
- Demonstrable experience in providing leadership in changing, ambiguous and challenging situations.
- Ability to deal with a broad range of situations from long-term strategic thinking to high-priority escalations, while maintaining an objective viewpoint
- Clear presentation, written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience interacting and collaborating across all levels of the organization, customers, and external contacts with a professional demeanor and diplomacy