Common Sense Media ( www.commonsense.org ), is the nation’s leading nonpartisan organization devoted to improving the media and technology lives of kids and families.
Our Web site is a leading parent destination for parents and educators, providing information and guidance to make the most of the powerful media that surrounds and influences our kids. Our age-appropriate media ratings, video-on-demand, and parenting tips and advice are widely distributed and can be found onscreen and online through leading media partners that include Comcast, Time Warner Cable, DIRECTV, Cox Communications, Fandango, Yahoo!, Disney, Google, Netflix, Apple and Facebook. Our digital literacy curriculum is in over 60 thousand schools around the country and we are in 100 million homes.
Presently we are seeking a super star Vice President of Communications to create and execute Common Sense Media’s public and media relations, campaigns and initiatives. This position works closely with the Executive Team as well as with all the departments of Common Sense Media (editorial, marketing, education, strategic events, outreach, and policy) to coordinate cross-functional initiatives. This position reports to the CEO.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Oversee all aspects of media relations/communications strategy and execution
- Develop and executing creative and compelling story ideas and aggressively, pro-actively pitching stories to media nationwide
- Supervise Director of Communications and consultants
- Field incoming press inquiries, coordinating interviews and appearances
- Prepare spokespeople with talking points and briefing materials
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME & OTHER QUALITIES
- 8-10 years experience in a non-profit, political or corporate environment
- Policy experience a plus
- Track record of having a strong editorial eye and a love for the “pitch”
- Good/fast writer – we will ask for samples if you are selected for an interview
- You have excellent interpersonal skills and are able to create rapport and inspire confidence
- You have outstanding organizational abilities and know that the devil is in the details
- You love the fast pace and the immediacy of the 24/7 news cycle
- You are an early adopter of technology and social media is in your DNA
THE “X” FACTOR
You have great attention to detail and follow-through
You have a true sense of ownership; passionate for results
You are a skilled communicator and collaborator and are inspired by the Common Sense Media mission
You have a great sense of humor – even when meeting tough deadlines
WHAT WE OFFER
A chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
Very competitive salary based on experience
An organization that offers work/lifestyle balance
Competitive benefits including, Medical, Dental, Vision, free gym membership and a matching 401(k) plan
The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids this generation and the next!