To help direct the continuing growth of our work and to ensure our long term effectiveness, the leadership of Earthjustice has recently introduced a new senior position. The VP of Litigation, Land, Wildlife, Oceans leads and works with other program leaders to develop visionary, high-impact programs that link the work of multiple offices and are integrated across departments, s/he knits together our program work across regions, and s/he strengthens our client and funder relationships. This senior leader also serves as an external ambassador for Earthjustice and advocates for our issues locally, regionally, and nationally.
The VP of Litigation, Land, Wildlife, Oceans directs our program protecting oceans and fisheries, wildlife, public lands, western water flows, and related domestic and international issues
The VP of Litigation is a member of the organization’s leadership team, reporting to the President and collaborating closely with the other program VP colleagues. S/he is a member of the Senior Leadership Team which includes the President, two other VPs of Litigation, and department VPs: Communications, Policy & Legislation, Development, and Operations.
In partnership with the other VPs, this VP of Litigation integrates efforts across offices and departments. The VP of Litigation is well-grounded in the work of Earthjustice both factually and legally and seeks to maximize funding opportunities for each program. The VP of Litigation does not actively engage in client litigation activities but works with the regional Managing Attorneys and program staff members across the offices to ensure that the litigation efforts in their program areas are the most significant and impactful. Each Managing Attorney in turn reports to one of the VPs of Litigation depending on the scope of work primarily handled in that geographic area.
Desired Leadership Qualities and Experience
Qualified candidates for this VP position will have deep experience in leading litigation efforts targeted at wildlife protection, public land management, or national resource management. Additionally, qualified candidates will have these qualities:
The VP of Litigation must have a JD degree and be admitted to the bar. Candidates must be willing to travel regularly to meet with team members in other offices and to coordinate with other organization leaders. With our national headquarters in San Francisco, we prefer to have the VPs of Litigation located in northern California, if at all possible. It may be possible for a VP to work out of one of our larger offices.
- Highly effective litigator with 12+ years of litigation experience.
- Strategic and visionary balanced with pragmatic approaches to ensure results are obtained consistently.
- Commitment to making Earthjustice as a whole highly effective in cutting edge litigation.
- Demonstrated experience and interest in coaching, guiding, and mentoring attorneys at different levels of their career development to continually improve their effectiveness.
- Proven leadership skills and experience and demonstrated success in managing and working with teams.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with experience working with the media and political and community leaders.
- Commitment to fundraising and developing ongoing relationships with donors, especially individual donors and foundation representatives.
- Proven ability to partner with other organizations to achieve objectives and to maintain long term relationships with clients and partnering agencies.
- Proven ability to manage operations including budgets and programs.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply for these positions by sending their resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Carolyn McCormick of Peak HR Consulting, LLC at Carolyn.McCormick@peakhrconsulting.com . All applications are to be submitted via email.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Earthjustice - 10 months ago