To oversee the continuous development of Safe Work
Practices through the implementation of effective
policies, procedures, and practices throughout Watco
Terminal and Port Services. This position requires
strong leadership and communication skills in order to
effectively influence the safety culture of the company.
The primary challenge is to create a standardized and
uniform approach to safety throughout a nationwide
network of facilities, specifically related to the
transfer of crude oil and like commodities, in an
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide corporate and field level leadership to
positively influence the safety culture of a network of
facilities in an industrial setting.
• Provide vision and direction in the development of
detailed safety policies and procedures, while
communicating and ensuring the implementation and
execution of these policies and procedures to a wide
network of terminals, and ensuring the improvement of
• Oversee and enforce compliance with the applicable
OSHA regulations, company policies, procedures, and
• Audit and assess current safety policies, procedures,
and practices to ensure they are current and
appropriate; and conduct hazard and risk assessments,
and develop new or amended safety policies, procedures,
and practices as required.
• Create a work environment that reflects a commitment
to protecting the health and safety of employees.
• Other duties may be assigned.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT DUTIES
Hire, lead, review performance and discipline if
necessary including termination of employment for
regional safety personnel. Further provide leadership
and guidance for terminal operating teams to meet
overall safety objectives of the organization.
• A Bachelor of Science Degree in an engineering field
related to occupational safety and health, or comparable
industrial experience in a management role.
• The candidate should have at least 10-years of
progressive safety-related experience in particularly
related to crude oil transfer and/or the railroad
• Certified Safety Professional preferred, but not
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Risk-Based Process Safety (RBPS) approaches to design,
correct, and improve process safety activities.
• Qualified First Aid/CPR Provider and Responder
• Hazard and Operability studies (HAZOP) to investigate
• Hazardous Material Handling/Labeling/Shipping
• Hazard Communications and MSDS
• Hazard Identification and Risk Analysis activities
(HIRA) to identify and evaluate risks at facilities, and
to make certain that the risks to team members and the
public are consistently controlled.
• Human Factor (HF) studies to ensure that machines,
operations, and work environments match team member
capabilities, limitations, and needs in order to make
the work environment inherently safer.
• Forklift Safety
• Crane Safety, Hoist and Rigging Equipment Inspections
• Performance assurance activities that require team
members to demonstrate an understanding of the training
module, for the purpose of applying the training in
practical situations, and maintaining proficiency
throughout their tenure in the position.
• Personal Protective Equipment and Clothing
• Fire Safety, Prevention and Protection
• Fall Protection and Elevated Work
• Administrative controls to hold human and /or
equipment performance within established limits.
• Checklists for verification of compliance to policies,
procedures, and practices.
• Ladder Safety
• Blue Flag Protection
• Switching and Car Movement Safety (able to recognize
and correct hazards)
• Metrics to evaluate compliance, and initiate planned
activities to improve performance.
• Lockout/Tagout Safety
• Machine Guarding Safety
• Systematic incident investigations, and provide
written documentation to determine the causes of the
incident, and develop effective corrective and
preventative actions that address the causes.
• Emergency Action and Response
• Site Security
• Hearing Conservation Program
• Storm Water Pollution Prevention
• Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures
• Plant Environmental Permits and Renewal Updates
• Electrical Safety, Grounding and Bonding
• Contractor and Visitor Safety Programs
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret financial
statements and reports, understand technical procedures
as it pertains to rail transportation services and
• Ability to provide oral and written reports, business
correspondence, and effectively present information and
respond to customers, team members, managers and the
Ability to apply a minimum level of mathematical
concepts to such tasks as required for performing the
responsibilities of the position to an acceptable level.
Ability to define problems collects data, establish
facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a
variety of technical instructions to deal with variables
that impact goal achievement.
The physical demands described here are representative
of those that must be met by a team member to
successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
• Mobility and ability to perform job functions in and
around field work environment in a safe manner.
• Must be able to travel via automobile or airline.
• Travel requirement 50% with multiple days and at
Watco Companies, LLC. - 10 months ago