Did you know?
Costco Wholesale is a multi-billion dollar global retailer with warehouse club operations in eight countries. We are the recognized leader in our field, dedicated to quality in every area of our business and respected for our outstanding business ethics. Despite our large size and explosive international expansion, we continue to provide a family atmosphere in which our employees thrive and succeed.
Description of position
Costco Wholesale is looking for a Virtualization Administrator (Analyst), who wants the opportunity to design and implement highly-scalable virtual solutions within a large enterprise environment and to drive Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) initiatives.
The Virtualization Administrator is responsible for the design, implementation and operational support of enterprise x86 virtual server and workstation platforms across the organization ensuring high levels of data quality, availability, and security. They are responsible for the implementation of policies and procedures to ensure virtual servers adhere to company goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements. The right candidate will be highly motivated and self-directed; someone who enjoys working in a fast-paced, collaborative, team environment.
Tasks and responsibilities
Required skills, abilities, and certifications
- Design hypervisor virtualization solutions based on best practices for scale up and out.
- Work with vendors to understand the applications, strategies and roadmaps for current, updated, and emerging technologies.
- Drive automation initiatives for VM creation, configuration, and provisioning.
- Develop business cases to justify strategic investment in systems architecture, including analysis of future growth and cost reduction opportunities.
- Provide technical engineering and design review for new server systems, applications, infrastructure, and hardware.
- Identify and report Key Performance Indicators, focusing on capacity planning and performance analysis.
- Administer VMware hosts and guests with multiple operating systems, including provisioning, monitoring, and P2V or V2V migrations.
- Provide proactive maintenance and support of virtualization server hardware and hypervisor, including patching and driver / firmware updates.
- Provide third-level support for incident resolution related to virtual server infrastructure.
- Test and implement new tools to better manage the virtual server infrastructure.
- Coordinate and participate in key process improvements and develop long-term strategic goals for operating system and hypervisor platforms in conjunction with system/data owners and department managers.
- Cross-functional collaboration to ensure availability, reliability, and scalability of corporate servers to meet business demands.
- Implement policies, procedures, and technologies to ensure server security.
- Manage and maintain Intel-based systems and systems software.
- Provide 24x7x365 on-call support and work weekends and/or holidays, as necessary.
- Current administrative experience in VMware technologies.
- Strong experience installing, configuring, and maintaining Windows and RHEL servers, networks, and clusters in an enterprise environment.
- Current hands-on experience with hardware and software troubleshooting.
- Understanding of database management systems such as Oracle and MS SQL.
- Understanding of network stack and fundamentals.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with a customer-service focus.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong technical documentation and writing skills.
Recommended skills, abilities, and certifications
To Apply: Email your current resume to IT_JOBS@costco.com . If hired, you will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States.
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP) certification is highly preferred.
- Microsoft MCSE or MCITP certification is preferred.
Costco Wholesale is a multi-billion dollar global retailer with warehouse club operations in eight countries. We are the recognized leader...