Applies knowledge of VMWare ESX servers and related systems to evaluate and maintain the Markets & International Banking technical environment. Will work closely with the Platform team leads and other team members, proactively investigates all aspects of the environment such that resolutions minimize downtime to the firm and are permanent solutions. The qualified candidate will need to be willing to work hours typical to an investment banking/trading firm out of the RBS Americas Stamford location.
Working within the DataCenter Services group as the hands-on Manager of the Virtualization Services team with the responsibility for providing support of the VMware environment.
Key management responsibilities will include:
• Supervise direct reports and their activities effectively, including effective record keeping and documentation of key people issues.
• Ensure direct reports and management teams are competent and have clearly defined responsibilities, both collectively and individually in line with the five pillars of supervision excellence:
o Tell employees what their jobs are
o Tell them how to do their jobs
o Show them how to do their jobs
o Test that they have done their jobs properly
o Incentivise for the job they have done
• Annual budgeting for virtualization team
Key technical responsibilities will include:
• Provide expertise and support for virtual technologies
• Build, document and test VMware virtual solutions.
• Script and develop innovative tools to solve operational issues.
• Perform general administration of servers (upgrades, patching & installs).
• Provide 2nd/3rd line support of the VMware environments.
• Ongoing evaluation and analysis of current virtualization infrastructure to provide optimum performance.
• Perform various special projects within Technology Services as assigned.
• Document configurations and procedures that will be transitioned to the help desk and support teams.
• Support and maintain information security measures as appropriate to the position.
This role is a supervisor role, managing a support team providing the above services. Other duties may be assigned.
Experience within a large financial institution or in a trading floor environment highly desirable.
• Solid experience of working in a high-pressure, large-scale, global & dynamic environment often with shifting priorities.
• Strong support and problem resolution capabilities.
• Strong communication skills and team player mentality.
• A thorough appreciation of technology and its value to the business.
• Experience working with application development and business teams.
• Ability to communicate at all levels.
• Minimum 3 years experience with VMware Infrastructure 3, vSphere v4.0, v5.0, Virtual Center.
• Minimum 4 years experience with Windows or Linux operating system.
• Experience in building (including installation of VI3 or 4), administering, maintaining and troubleshooting complex VMware environments (farms) for test and production use.
• Experience in supporting VDI implementations with templates, provisioning and troubleshooting.
• Experience performing physical-to-virtual (P2V) and virtual-to-virtual (V2V) conversions for Windows and Linux
• Analyze Capacity Planner data to recommend potential P2V or new virtual machine requests for sizing and consolidation ratios, Make recommendations to cluster or host consolidation ratios based upon live or historical data gathered from VirtualCenter.
• Through understanding of HP Blade server infrastructure.
• Experience with core networking concepts including Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), Domain Name Service (DNS), Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and Virtual Local Area Networks (VLANs).
• Apply best practices for virtual networking, Vmotion, HA, DRS/DPM in HP blade cluster virtualization environment.
• Develop and test backup and recovery procedures for the VMware farms, based on NetApp VMware Best Practices.
• Provide pre-production support which may include loading O/S templates, migration of physical server to HP Blade virtualization farm
• Perl & various scripting/development tools
• An ability to interact with and help clients with varying degrees of technical sophistication
• Ability to learn new technology rapidly is critical
• Proficient in documentation and report generation
• Ability to accomplish projects independently involving a variety of computing technologies
A Bachelors Degree in MIS or Computer Science or a minimum of five years as a Lead/Senior Engineer in the financial services sector is required.
• Experience with NetApp, EMC, or 3PAR shared storage solutions and VMware integration with such.
• Experience should also include an understanding of VMware technologies such as Capacity Planner, Virtual Center, Vmotion and HP Blade server configuration, virtual connect module, HP insight control manager.
• Experience with virtualization tools. i.e. Site Recovery Manager, CapacityIQ, Lab Manager.
• VMware Certified Professional (VCP) certification.
• Citrix XenApp, & Citrix Web interface support.
• Effective conveyance of ideas through oral and written communication.
• The ability to develop and build persuasive rationale to address technical architecture needs and requirements.
• Strong team skills with the ability to facilitate activities across organisational borders.
• Highly motivated self-starter.
• The ability to develop strong personal relationships.
• High degree of analytical ability and creativity to enable the resolution of complex issues.
• The ability to gather information from a wide range of sources.
RBS Insurance - 18 months ago