Safari Books Online is building the next generation of products for making people more awesome at their jobs. Offering a combination of structured and self-directed learning tools containing the world’s best books, videos and conferences, we are now building a variety of browser-based products on our own brand-new platform. We are looking for a thoughtful designer with strong systems thinking and communication skills to help define, shape and craft our portfolio of products, as well as how we talk about them and ourselves.
The Visual Designer will take responsibility for how our key products look, behave, and fit with each other. Top of mind will be that our products must delight our users, and present themselves with the same high standards with which they have will be crafted.
This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate who wants to help launch and grow a set of meaningful products that make a difference to people’s lives, who loves learning, the rapidly evolving world of browser technology, and working with a dynamic team of passionate people at the cutting edge of publishing.
The candidate will quickly take responsibility for:
- Developing company brand guidelines (following a recent brand strategy project)
- Developing a coherent system for the visual presentation of all of our products, while defining and retaining the individuality of each product
- Developing individual product guidelines within this system
- Creating a live (HTML) prototype for a complete overhaul of an existing product
- Creating a live (HTML) prototype for a revised company website.
- Creating the design and interaction model for a native mobile app across 4 platforms
- Proposing a more formal method for integrating design work into our agile workflow
- Working with a team of designers and front-end engineers to implement the systems across multiple products
The candidate for this role will:
- Have an impeccable design sense
- Get things done
- Work alone, and in diverse (and distributed) teams
- Work very closely (and highly collaboratively) with the women and men who lead our engineering, product, research, front-end, QA and other teams
- Think in systems; be equally confident in the abstract and in the detailed execution
- Care a lot, but make the right decisions to get the job done on time
- Understand the tradeoffs required to ensure that designs conform to best practices, standards-compliance, and browser compatibility requirements
- Be ridiculously familiar with the intricacies of designing for a multi-device world
- Be comfortable working in an agile, distributed environment, leading multiple projects concurrently, reporting to a number of stakeholders, and collaborating with various teams while maintaining a tight focus on shipping, brand, and quality
While the ability to code and design in the browser will be a significant plus, the primary measure of the Visual Designer is their ability to think about our products as a whole. This key role will be supported by a world-class team of designers, developers and engineers with whom you will be expected to collaborate extensively, and who will push you to achieve your very best.
Our employees are encouraged to be communicative. We rely on Hangouts, HipChat, JIRA, GitHub, animated gifs and Google Apps much more than email and phone. We strive to operate in public, with a strong encouragement for our team to blog often and to talk at public events about what they have done. We expect our employees to build the products they want to use; and to use those products to learn in the same ways that our users do.
- Outstanding color, typographical, compositional, and interaction sensibilities
- Deep familiarity with designing for the mobile web
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills (not boilerplate; we do a lot of writing!)
- 5+ years of professional design experience
- Strong problem solving skills
- Academic experience in Communications Design, Interaction Design, Graphic Design, or other related field
- Expert in Adobe CC (or alternatives)
- Must have an online portfolio with multiple examples of interactive systems design
This position can be based in our Boston, San Francisco or Sebastopol office (remote work may be considered for top candidates) and will report to our VP of Product Development.
Safari Books Online - 7 months ago