This position is located in the Project Management Office within the National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC). The employee is responsible for planning, designing, and developing the total visual aspect of African American history museum exhibitions and related graphics, from conceptual development to detailing and implementation.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
- Assists in preparing and designing various elements of visual products, including graphics and 3D exhibitory for temporary and permanent African American art, history, and cultural exhibitions.
- Works closely with exhibit team in development of exhibits that meet demanding criteria of originality, appropriateness, practicality, affordability, and accessibility.
- Prepares files and documents for highest quality fabrication and maintains quality control throughout exhibit fabrication and installation.
- Assists in development of preliminary budgets or works to specified cost limits. Works with the specified Project Manager to establish a detailed schedule and budget to produce and install the exhibit. Produces designs compatible with budget targets by making careful early estimates and exercising cost control during design.
Experience: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position Specialized experience is defined as working with exhibit team members through all stages of the exhibition project (concept through final design detailing, fabrication, installation); and creating complete 2D and 3D drawing packages suitable for bidding by outside fabricators. The candidate must have specialized experience in the following specific areas: Adobe Creative Suite, Vector Works, designing exhibitions with African American history and culture content, designing large exterior building graphics, designing traveling versions of permanent exhibitions, and creating 3D computer rendering and model making.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Or Education: Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's or equivalent degree related to the position may be substituted to meet the experience requirements.
Or a Combination: Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic qualifications. For a full explanation of this option please see the Qualification Standards . Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA): If you applying as for a VEOA appointment, you must be a veteran must be honorably separated and either a preference eligible or have substantially completed 3 or more years of active service. ("Active Service" under this law means active duty in a uniformed service and includes full-time training duty, annual training duty, full-time National Guard duty, and attendance, while in the active service, at a school designated as a service school by law or by the Secretary concerned.) A veteran who is released under honorable conditions shortly before completing a 3-year tour is also eligible.
Noncompetitive Appointment Authorities: The following links contain information on the eligibility requirements to be considered under a noncompetitive appointing authority:
- Primary Appointing Authorities for Career and Career-Conditional Appointments
- Hiring Authorities for Veterans
- People with Disabilities
Qualification requirements, including one year time-in-grade at the next lower grade level for promotion candidates, must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
Skill in the use of Adobe Creative Suite software (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Bridge and Acrobat Pro) for exhibit graphic design, and Vector Works software for exhibit 3D design.
Ability to contribute original ideas and designs for exhibition projects and to develop clear and compelling presentations for team consideration .
Ability to produce production-ready digital files for graphic designs and fabrication details for all 3D designs, and to organize all material into complete design packages suitable for bidding, fabrication, production, and installation.
Ability to manage time and resources to complete projects on schedule and within budget.
BASIS OF RATING: Once the announcement closes, your application will be automatically evaluated and rated by the system and a Human Resources Specialist . To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your application and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills, and abilities required of this position. If, after the Human Resources Specialist reviews your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that the score you have received is not a true reflection of your qualifications and/or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect the information you provided that support your abilities . Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.Your resume should provide detailed information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay_and_Benefits
Click on the "Apply Online" button on the upper right side of the page.
- You must apply for this position online through the 'Apply Online' button and submit required supplemental documents (if they are relevant to you).
- You may submit required documents by uploading them online during the application process;
You may manually fax required documents. Faxes are received by an automated system, not a physical fax machine. Documents that are faxed as part of the application process must be sent with the system generated cover sheet by the closing date. Documents faxed without the system generated coversheet are not retrievable and cannot be considered as part of the application package.
- The complete application package, including any required documents, is due in the Smithsonian Office of Human Resources on the closing date of the announcement by 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
- If you are unable to apply online, paper applications may be accepted with prior approval of the Contact Person listed below.
Your application package should include the following documents:
- Detailed resume created in the USAJOBS Resume Builder.
- Proof of prior federal service such as the latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action.
- Unofficial school transcripts, if the position has an education requirement or if you are using education to qualify. If selected for the position, you must provide an official transcript before appointment.
- Proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study, if applicable.
- A recent performance evaluation
- Proof of Veteran's Preference - DD214 (Member 4 Copy) if you are requesting a special appointment authority, such as VRA or VEOA
- Proof of severe disability if you are requesting special placement consideration.
- Proof of eligibility for a military spouse appointment, such as a permanent change station military order.
- Proof of eligibility for any other special appointing authority not specifically mentioned here
Smithsonian Institution - 15 months ago
copy to clipboard -