Camp Paha Counselors In Training (CIT) |
The purpose of our RISE summer program is to provide recreational, educational and therapeutic opportunities for youth and young adults with disabilities in a safe and fun day camp environment.
Volunteer Camp Paha Counselors In Training, or CITs, work a reduced workweek (20 hours per week) with their specific group of 8-12 campers. CITs report directly to their Head Counselor and assist group staff with ensuring the safety, health, and participation of campers in all camp activities. Counselors In Training are age 14-15 years old. Please note that CITs positions are unpaid .
We do have an incentive program based on your performance over the entire summer. If you successfully meet all the expectations during the summer you will receive a gift card of $150 dollars.
Major Tasks, Duties, and Responsibilities:
Expectations of volunteer CIT's:
· Perform duties in a professional manner, i.e. dress appropriately, arrive on time, stay until the end of your shift, attend all appropriate staff meetings, and staff orientation.
· Responsible for supporting the physical, social and emotional needs of the campers assigned to your group.
· Participate in all camp activities with the campers.
· Maintain an enthusiastic attitude on a daily basis.
· Complete tasks and jobs as assigned by Head Counselor.
· Report to your Head Counselor, the Assistant Director for your age group as well as the Summer Day Programs Director.
· Attend and participate in pre-camp training and regular staff meetings and CIT-specific meetings.
· Learn how to lead recreational summer camp activities with children, youth and young adults with disabilities.
· Serve as a role model for campers and staff by caring, sharing, being honest, enthusiastic, compassionate, and a good sports.
· Although Counselors In Training do not count towards ratio requirements, cooperate with coworkers to comply with the ratio of at least 1 counselor supervising 4 campers at one time.
· Abide by and enforce the RISE program’s “No Isolated Moments” policy where, when one or more campers are present, there must be at least 2 staff present as well (at minimum; see ratio requirements above).
· Follow all American Camping Association (ACA) accreditation and Child Care License standards as set forth by RISE Coordinator and those respective agencies.
· Be familiar with City of Lakewood policies and procedures and adhere to those procedures.
· Other related duties as assigned.
Specific Job Functions
· Assist with the supervision of campers in your respective group.
· Participate in all activities with campers to ensure the full participation and enjoyment of camp activities.
· Ensure group safety at all times in all aspects of camp.
· Responsible for the daily maintenance of your group’s home base room (i.e. dump trash, hang up swim things, vacuum your room, tidy up camper things.) Also help maintain the commons areas: lunch room, playground, front grounds, buses used by your group, etc.
· Attend mandatory pre-camp Staff training as well weekly staff meetings as well as CIT-specific meetings.
· Assist campers with all of their daily personal needs at camp under the supervision of other counselors.
· Assist head counselors with written weekly progress notes including camper goals, activities, and behaviors.
Minimum Age: 14 -15 · Due to the intensity of responsibilities, Counselors in Training are only permitted to report for duty for 20 hours per week total. CITs may not volunteer or work beyond those 20 hours.
KSA's and Physical/Mental Reqs:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: · · Desire to learn how to work with people who have a variety of physical, emotional and cognitive/intellectual disabilities.
· Learn about indoor and outdoor, individual and group recreational skills and activities.
· Ability to problem solve with and for the campers when necessary.
· Ability to work with all ability levels in a caring, consistent non-judgmental fashion.
· Demonstrate good listening and communication skills.
· Ability to work as a team member with other staff.
· Reports to Head Counselor.
City of Lakewood, CO - 17 months ago