VOLUNTEER SERVICES COORDINATOR
Volunteer Council Department
Reporting to the Director, Special Events and Volunteer Services, the Volunteer Services Coordinator will have responsibility of providing administrative support to the Director, Special Event Managers, League Manager and Event Coordinator, assisting in the creation of major fundraising events, donor cultivation and stewardship events and volunteer projects as assigned, and working with SFS staff and volunteers to achieve project objectives.
- Serve as the Volunteer Council’s (VC) first point of contact with volunteers, and often with event committee chairmen, Board of Governors members, musicians, staff and the public. Welcomes and receives visitors and answer inquiries in the reception area .
- Provide phone coverage for high volume calls to the VC office, including special event phone orders at premium levels. Answers and directs all calls. Serves as liaison to the Patron Services Department regarding ticket sales.
- Coordinate Tessitura updates and adjustments for Volunteer Council special event and league data. Works closely with Development team members and the Systems Analyst to develop lists for mailings and manage event acknowledgement process.
- Schedules and coordinates office volunteer project work. Supervises and trains office volunteers, ensures job completion and within assigned timeframe. Works tactfully and diplomatically with volunteers.
- Coordinate special event logistics as assigned by the Director and Special Event Managers including list management, mailings, seating, in-kind solicitations, database management and other administrative duties for major Symphony fundraisers, including Opening Night Gala, Deck the Hall, Chinese New Year Celebration, An Evening at Carolands.
- Oversee and coordinate logistics for monthly open rehearsals. Work with Open Rehearsal chairman to confirm volunteers and deliveries.
- Serve as the lead coordinator on volunteer recognition events that include Volunteer Council Holiday Party, Orchestra Luncheon, VC Day at the Symphony and VC Day at the Youth Orchestra.
- Serve as liaison to the Marketing and Web team for updating the special event information on www.sfsymphony.com and the Volunteer Council Facebook page. Coordinate review of the key marketing pieces to include main marketing brochure of SFS Season, Single Ticket Brochure, etc.
- Provide administrative support to the Director.
- Performs general clerical and administrative duties. Maintains patron records in the database, produces reports, and organizes financial records and vendor files. Maintains office, office equipment and supplies.
- Work closely with staff members throughout the San Francisco Symphony (including Patron Services, Artistic, Marketing, PR, Accounting and Operations) on setting up of systems, coordination of logistics and timely distribution of information to ensure a successful event.
- Provide direction, assistance and advice to volunteers involved in projects as needed, coordinating with the Volunteer Council team on solutions and problems.
- Work as a team with co-workers on department events and functions.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required and minimum of two to four years office experience with clerical and organizational skills; fundraising, events management or production preferred.
- Experience in working with volunteers and interacting with donors preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously and to work calmly under pressure of deadlines.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills.
- Experience in the execution of marketing campaigns and implementing key messages through email, web, and social media.
- Self-starter and ability to interact comfortably, tactfully, and effectively with varied internal and external constituencies. Must display a high level of professionalism and ability to understand, develop, and sustain resilient and dynamic relationships with volunteers, donors, colleagues, vendors, and senior management.
- Have a passion for special events and fundraising, provide outstanding customer service, be an enthusiastic professional.
- A passion for music and sense of humor strongly desirable.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications with an emphasis in Microsoft Word and Excel required.
- Knowledge and proficiency of Tessitura or similar ticketing/CRM database preferred.
- Willing to work nights and weekends as required.
The San Francisco Symphony, under Music Director Michael Tilson Thomas, is one of the country’s leading orchestras. Some 220 concerts each year reach an audience of more than 600,000, while national and international broadcasts, heard on more than 215 radio stations, reach millions more. The Symphony has its own recording label, SFS Media, and its recordings have won some of the world’s highest honors. Its multimedia initiative, Keeping Score, has reached over six million people with television and radio broadcasts, DVDs, and an interactive website. The Orchestra tours extensively throughout Europe, Asia, and the United States, and its outstanding artistic reputation enables it to attract the world’s finest guest artists and conductors to Davies Symphony Hall. More than 70,000 young people are served each year by the Symphony’s numerous education programs, including its internationally renowned Youth Orchestra and Adventures in Music (AIM), which reaches every 1st through 5th grader in San Francisco’s public schools. The organization is led by President Sakurako Fisher and Executive Director Brent Assink.
The San Francisco Symphony’s mission is to set the highest possible standard for excellence in musical performance at home and around the world; enrich, serve, and shape cultural life throughout the spectrum of Bay Area communities; and maintain financial stability and gain public recognition as a means of ensuring its ability to fulfill its mission.
The San Francisco Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
San Francisco Symphony - 22 months ago