As Ward Clerk you will perform clerical and communication functions for the optimal operation of the nursing unit. You will coordinate activities of nursing unit with other departments. You will also function as a receptionist to greet and assist those entering the unit
- Organizes and maintains patients’ medical records:
- Assembles charts for new admissions; addressographs all pages routinely (i.e. imprints medical plates onto medical records or paperwork by using an addressograph machine); replenishes forms; inserts reports upon receipt; files medical records; reroutes all reports/lab slips to appropriate location.
- Communicates effectively with patients, visitors and staff:
- Answers telephone in a courteous and tactful manner, delivers messages to appropriate personnel; initiates and follows up on pages; greets and assists patients, visitors, and staff; answers patients’ call lights; communicates patients’ needs to appropriate unit staff; verifies identity of persons entering the unit; assures confidentiality of patient information; accepts and distributes all incoming mail, packages, and flowers; prepares and sends out outgoing mail.
- Communicates with admitting office regarding admissions and discharges:
- Enters and retrieves information from Management Informational Systems; coordinates delivery of medical records for discharged patients to Medical Records/Admitting; notifies appropriate department of patients’ discharges/transfers; initiates bed tracking system upon discharge; maintains unit log of patient admission, discharge, or transfer.
- Ensures accurate patient identification:
- Routinely checks and maintains patient ID bands and room/door name tags; clearly labels chart covers with patient’s first and last name; verifies addressograph plate with face sheet upon admission.
- Coordinates appointments for patients’ tests with unit staff and other departments:
- Arranges for transport, transports patients when necessary; carries out errands.
- Reviews physician order sheets at regular intervals:
- Notifies professional staff of any changes; transcribes written orders according to Lenox Hill Hospital standards; forwards medication orders to Pharmacy.
- Maintains a neat, orderly, and professional environment at the nurses station:
- Updates and maintains unit bulletin boards; maintains current MD on-call lists for each service; maintains cleanliness of chart covers and racks; assists with maintenance of committee and staff minutes and hospital manuals.
- Initiates and follows up on maintenance requests:
- Coordinates with Sterile Processing Distribution the routine maintenance of equipment.
- Orders and maintains unit inventory according to established par levels:
- Accepts and stocks supplies.
- Participates in Quality Improvement audits in order to enhance the operational efficiency of the unit and hospital.
- High School diploma or GED required
- Minimum of one (1) year clerical and/or receptionist experience, required.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, required
- Basic computer literacy and ability to use telephone, photocopier, fax machine and laser printer, required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Transforming care, optimizing patient satisfaction and creating better patient outcomes are just some of the things our talented team members are doing at North Shore-LIJ each and every day. As a culture committed to providing our customers with the highest quality service, we stand behind our core values: Patients first; Caring; Excellence; Innovation; Integrity and Teamwork. It is our commitment and our culture that sets us apart from others and is the cornerstone of everything we do. Join an organization whose team members are valued, cared for and offered continuous opportunities to grow. Click on the link to learn more about us: www.northshorelij.com/goals
Please note: North Shore-LIJ is a smoke-free environment. Smoking and the use of tobacco products is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. Free smoking cessation programs and quit medications are offered to team members who wish to quit through the North Shore-LIJ Center for Tobacco Control.
North Shore-LIJ Health System
- 17 months ago - save job
One of the nation's largest health systems, North Shore-LIJ delivers world-class clinical care throughout the New York metropolitan area,...