SERTA MATTRESS-NATIONAL BEDDING COMPANY
TITLE: WAREHOUSE SUPERVISOR
Coordinates storage and distribution activities to ensure maximum utilization of the facility including the hiring, supervision and development of assigned personnel. Oversees facilities, personnel and equipment maintenance to ensure safety and efficient utilization. Responsible for the implementation of manufacturing (if assigned) and loading schedules ensuring timely and efficient production of high quality bedding products at the best cost within the department and for the preservation of Company assets. Responsible for control of finished goods inventory, including any offsite finished goods storage. Prepares daily and weekly reports and maintains related loading/delivery documentation.
*1. Plans, organizes and supervises the loading function of the department ensuring timely and efficient delivery of high quality Company products while adhering to scheduled transit times and reduction of short ships. Coordinates with the Plant Manager, Plant Supervisors, Production Scheduler and other Plant personnel in order to attain delivery, cost and quality of service objectives. Works effectively with dealers/customers to schedule deliveries and the pick-up of returned merchandise.
*2. Ensures appropriate and cost effectiveness of the loading function, including shipments of incoming and outgoing products, control of labor utilization - preventing excess hours, downtime and overtime, and efficient usage of transportation related equipment. Handles and dispositions all materials. Tracks and analyzes functional metrics, calculates estimated cost associated with shipping/loading function, determines solutions to issues and recommends appropriate alternatives.
*3. Controls and administers finished goods inventory, both onsite and at off- site storage locations. Monitors and controls inventory levels by conducing physical counts and reconciling with inventory control system as needed. Tracks returns and ensures efficient pull from stock processes. Maintains perpetual warehouse inventory and related systems. Coordinates with Scheduler, Purchasing Agent, Transportation Supervisor and other Production Supervisors for efficient administration of this function, and updates the Plant Manager and Controller regarding related inventory levels and any issues or concerns.
*4. If assigned, may also oversee a production area to ensure production of high quality products and timely completion of production schedules in accordance with Company specifications. Ensures the cost effectiveness of the production process. Controls use of raw materials, preventing all unnecessary waste; and schedules and controls utilization of labor, preventing excess hours, downtime and overtime. Coordinates with the Plant Manager and other departmental Plant Supervisors in order to attain production, delivery, cost and quality objectives.
*5. Supervises and directs all job related activities engaged in the loading and unloading of freight while working with other Plant supervisors and/or office staff to ensure product, equipment and paperwork availability. Ensures products are loaded in adherence to approved loading patterns in order to prevent freight damage during transit and safe truck operations.
*6. Completes necessary paperwork, computer entries and prepares daily management reports, including Load Sheets and Not Made reports. Prepares other standard and ad hoc reports as needed.
*7. Evaluates and maintains physical condition of warehouse and equipment by planning and implementing new design layouts, equipment inspections and preparing work order for repairs and requisitions for replacement of equipment. Assists with establishing and monitoring procedures designed to assure the health and safety of assigned personnel, suppliers and other visitors to the facility.
*8. Coordinates with Plant office staff to provide information on schedule delivery and product status.
*9. Collects, compiles, and analyzes data and statistics; reviews for trends, and makes appropriate system and procedural recommendations to management. Monitors any system and/or procedural changes made to ensure expected results. Prepares various other standard and ad hoc reports for internal analysis.
*10. Recruits, interviews and makes employee selection recommendations. Provides initial and ongoing training and evaluation to assigned personnel related to job duties and performance expectations, job processes, equipment, quality and safety programs. Monitors job duties and performance expectations utilizing work method programs. Manages work assignments and provides/facilitates training related to job duties, Company policies and procedures.
*11. Fosters positive working relationships. Responds proactively to performance concerns, discipline, employee complaints and other employee relations matters.
*12. Ensures safety and health procedures are being followed within the warehouse operations and loading functions and in the Plant. Administers and reinforces safety and health programs to ensure a safe work environment in compliance with government regulations. Supports safe handling, loading and storage of materials on the dock and/or in offsite warehouses. Corrects and/or reports unsafe conditions. Coordinates with Plant office staff to report and investigate work related accidents and injuries on a timely basis.
13. Identifies systems and procedures designed to improve operations. Communicates insights to management, through both presentations and write-ups of results and recommendations in support of budget, strategic planning and forecasting processes. Makes recommendations and implements new policies, procedures and programs as needed.
14. Identifies systems and procedures designed to improve operations. Makes recommendations and implements new programs as needed.
15. Assists Plant Manager and/or Warehouse Manager with special projects as requested.
16. Maintains knowledge of current trends in the field and attends appropriate training programs to remain current on warehouse operations, local union, health/safety and related issues. Complies with federal, state and local warehousing, material handling and shipping regulations. Enforces compliance to regulations and advises management on necessary action items.
17. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
1. Some college level coursework or specialized training beyond a HS diploma/HS equivalency
2. Two or more years experience in plant/manufacturing operations and warehouse management (storage, distribution, delivery and routing) to include supervisory or significant lead level experience; or equivalent training and experience in other plant operations
3. Customer service related experience
4. Relevant lean manufacturing experience
5. Computer proficiency with intermediate MS Excel skills and internet research skills
6. Experience working with data driven measurements and metrics for functional area
1. College degree or formal vocational training in technical, business or related field
2. Experience using various types of fork lifts and current fork lift certification
3. Working knowledge of OSHA regulations
4. Familiarity with Federal, State and local health and safety regulations
5. Beginner to intermediate MS Word and mainframe database skills
6. Experience working with routing software
1. Effective communication and interpersonal skills
2. Mathematical and analytical aptitude
3. Effective organizational and planning skills
4. Ability to interpret and support standards, policies and procedures established by National Bedding Company, Serta Inc., Federal, State or local agencies
Work involves exposure to usual hazards found in a warehouse environment. May also involve local and limited national travel and occasional pushing/pulling/lifting/moving of products (up to 100 lbs).
WORKERS SUPERVISED: Assigned warehouse employees
SUPERVISED BY: Plant Manager
PROMOTION TO: Production Manager/Supt, Warehouse Manager, Plant Manager
PROMOTION FROM: Purchasing Agent or Lead Shipping/Production Employee
Serta Mattress Company - 16 months ago