A Warehouse Technician performs manual, technical and record-keeping work involved in the receipt, storage, maintenance and issuance of supplies, materials and equipment; and updates and maintains a computerized inventory control system. The work requires the ability to manually lift, carry, push or pull heavy parts and equipment. Work also includes picking up materials, supplies and related parts and equipment from suppliers. Some typing may be required. Subject to emergency callout during off duty hours.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- Two years' warehousing experience including the handling, record keeping and control of a wide variety of parts, materials, supplies and equipment using a computerized control system.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Methods, techniques, terminology and procedures used in a warehouse facility for record keeping, inventory control and maintenance.
- Perform basic business math.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Perform minor repairs on tools and equipment.
- Safely lift and handle heavy objects up to 75 pounds using proper lifting techniques.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Safely operate a variety of warehousing tools, equipment and machinery.
- Operate a personal computer and assigned application software.
- Interpret computer printout data.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
- Work independently with little direction.
Selection Process & Supplemental Information:
Interested individuals should complete the online application. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have their responses to the supplemental questions scored. Applicants must receive a passing score to be placed on the eligible list for interview and hiring consideration.
Individuals given a conditional offer of employment must pass a pre-employment medical examination that includes a drug screen and may be required to pass a background check. This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and WSCCCE Local 120. An employee in this position will be required to join the union within 30 days of hire. New employees must successfully complete a nine-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400 before the closing date.
City of Tacoma - 17 months ago