The purpose of this position is to conduct swimming instruction programs. This is accomplished by teaching swimming lessons, leading and conducting preschool classes, ensuring the safety of class participants and assisting with facility operations. Other duties may include providing customer service and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Teaches swimming lessons and leads and conducts preschool classes, assists in the development and implementation of various programs, identifying the types of programs needed, identifying the resources necessary for swimming classes and instructing class participants on proper swimming techniques.
- Ensures the safety of class participants by teaching and monitoring proper pool safety procedures, visually scanning all aquatic facility areas, determining whether participants are in distress, responding to emergencies when necessary and providing first aid to customers when appropriate.
- Assists with facility operations by clearing litter and debris from pool areas, returning pool equipment to storage areas, performing maintenance activities on pool equipment, as well as preparing facilities for programs and classes.
- Provides customer service to citizens by addressing and resolving complaints and concerns from the public, responding to questions and inquiries as well as providing information and guidance to citizens on swimming classes.
- Maintains accurate recordkeeping of swim lessons conducted, including attendance, progress reports for participants, and water safety instructor activity reports required by the American Red Cross.
- May act as a lifeguard if certified as such by the American Red Cross.
Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes and the routine operation of machines. Level of knowledge equivalent to less than high school or equivalency.
Under and including one year of relevant experience and have a minimum age of at least 16 years old.
Certification and Other Requirements
American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification must be obtained within six months of hire date. First Aid and CPR must be obtained within three months of hire date.
Applicants must be willing/able to work the following schedule:
School Year: Swim lessons are scheduled for Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4pm-8:15pm. Additional lessons occur on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings.
Summer: Swim lessons are Monday through Thursday mornings (8am-1pm) and evenings (5pm-8:15pm). Additional lessons occur on Saturday mornings and occasionally on Friday evenings.
Basic - Ability to recognize meaning of common two- or three-syllable words. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives directions: The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Assignment is reviewed upon completion.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Discussion Very Frequent: More than 51% of work time.
City of Allen, TX - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard