Water Safety Instructor
Health & Fitness Center
Part-time no benefits
- Position Summary:
Your primary job duty as an instructor is to keep those children and adults enrolled in our learn to swim program SAFE FROM HARM, while teaching them the skills, techniques, and water safety information appropriate for the level in which they are enrolled.
- Maintain constant surveillance of ALL members of your classes AT ALL TIMES. If you have an instructor aide, YOU remain responsible for the safety, skills, & knowledge of each member of your class AND YOU are responsible for the safety, skills & knowledge of your aide!
- Teach & instruct classes according to American Red Cross standards & criteria as outlined on the skills assessment sheets & performance criteria sheets provided you during your WSI certification course.
- Teach class members pool rules, Enforce pool rules, Follow pool rules yourself.
- Create & maintain order & structure within your swim lessons. This means that children will have their backs against the walls or remain seated on the steps when not working with you or unless instructed otherwise.
- Horseplay, throwing children, allowing children to dive off your shoulders, allowing children to move away from you or separate from the group, slapping the noodles, and blowing lifeguard whistles are STRICTLY PROHIBITED! We want class members to have an enjoyable experience in a safe, structured way! Please see the games and ideas in your WSI manual for examples of this safe, structured fun.
- Complete all paperwork for the Health & Fitness Center , as well as for the Red Cross. Make sure that you keep copies of all paperwork for your own records!
- Provide one make up lesson for each group lesson that you teach at a time convenient to the parents and members of your classes.
- Evaluate student progress in accordance with Red Cross Standards
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Water Safety Instructor Certified
- 6 Months experience as an instructor