Performs a variety of semi-skilled duties in the operation, repair and maintenance related to water, wastewater and reuse projects and facilities, including underground lines. Operates/drives and/or performs daily/minor maintenance and troubleshooting on a variety of construction tools/equipment (light and heavy) and trucks of various Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) that require a Florida Commercial Drivers License (CDL), Assists journeyman tradesmen, however, will not be expected to learn a particular trade as would be expected of a trainee. Works as part of a crew or independently with inspections on progress of work and upon completion.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Builds/installs, repairs/maintains, and cleans sidewalks, curbs, gutters, ditches, culverts, right-of-ways, roads, retaining walls, pipes, drainage fixtures etc.
- Manually loads/unloads materials and supplies; performs other manual duties including minor masonry work, rough carpentry etc. as requested.
- Operates light and heavy equipment and trucks as requested.
- Checks operating and assures safe conditions of light and heavy equipment, including cleaning servicing, minor mechanical repairs etc. Reports the need for major repairs/preventive maintenance to management in a timely manner.
- Operates single/double axle vehicles, tractor trailers etc., with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) up to ~80,000 pounds, while towing generators, trailer mounted equipment etc.
- Maintains inventories and maintenance/repair records of tools, equipment supplies etc.
- Maintains records, manually or via computer, for daily vehicle checklists, work tickets, employee time sheets, requisitions, equipment operations and service records etc.
- Performs various semi-skilled repair and maintenance duties which may include one or more trade areas.
- Cleans, paints and maintains (preventive, predictive and corrective) equipment, grounds, underground lines and/or facilities.
- Assists in demolition of buildings and related manual laboring tasks. Seeks assistance to lift and/or movie objects weighing 50 pounds or more in a safe manner.
- Performs other job-related work as assigned.
- Must have had at least two (2) years experience in the operation of tractor trailers and other heavy trucks used in transporting sludge and/or other bulk material (tandem axle tractor with tanker or trailer).@ Completion of an approved tractor trailer driverfl course can be substituted for six (6) months driving experience@
- Earn a passing score on the Test for Adult Basic Education (TABE)
- Earn a passing score on the Wiesen Test of Mechanical Aptitude (WTMA)
- Pass the Physical Abilities Test.
A valid Class A Commercial Driverfl License is required prior to employment and must be maintained in good standing during employment in this job classification.
A valid Commercial Driverfl License with a Hazard Endorsement may be required based on job assignment.
JEA is an equal opportunity and equal access employer that provides a safe, drug-free environment for its workers. Under F.S. 295, preference in appointment will be given to eligible veterans and eligible spouses. Veterans' preference in perpetuity: A person eligible for veterans' preference in appointment (defined by s. 295.07, FS) does not forfeit employment preference eligibility once that veteran or eligible spouse of the veteran has been employed by a state agency or any political subdivision of this state. Effective July 1, 2007, Florida law restores veterans' preference in employment for all categories of protected individuals previously employed by a state agency or any political subdivision of this state.
How To Apply
To be considered for this job opportunity, you must apply online at
. You must provide all required documents (e.g. High school diploma, GED equivalent, college transcripts, training documents, copies of professional licenses, DD214, etc) by attaching the documents to your electronic application by
11:59pm Monday, March 11, 2013.
You can also fax your documents to 904-665-6192. Be sure to include a
with your name, date, and the position that you are applying for. If you do not submit required documentation prior to the close date for each position that you are applying for, you will not be considered.
JEA - 2 years ago
As long as sparks are flying in Jacksonville, everything is A-OK with JEA. The community-owned, not-for-profit utility provides electricity...