The Developer is responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of internally developed applications within the National Aquarium.
The Developer is a member of the Information Technology department, reporting directly to the Chief Technology Officer. They are expected to work with the Aquarium’s business units to fulfill minor application development requirements and to support advanced data reporting requirements, including providing ad hoc reports, creating reports that are scheduled and delivered electronically or via a portal, developing and supporting a self-service environment, and providing assistance and documentation for accessing all of these options.
Translate requests into accurate reflections of requirements, provide recommendations and plans for handing data, document processes, anticipate needs, write accurate and detailed reports, and develop and deliver training materials for using self-serve system functions.
Design and develop new applications, application modules and tools to fulfill the specialized requirements of the organization.
• Implement the production of standard and special reports
• Design and implement minor custom web-based applications
• Gather and document business requirements for reports and web-based applications
• Continually educate requestors as to appropriate, desirable parameters
• Develop a standard timeline for all reporting and development projects and efforts
• Participate in the development of the department’s strategic goals and direction; set aggressive and relevant goals for the development of these functions.
• Maintain a strong knowledge of developments in the fields of application development, reporting and database management.
• Provide additional marketing support as needed for other onsite and online activities, as requested.
• A firm grasp of computer science fundamentals in such areas as data structures and OO; as well as database concepts and SQL Server 2005/2008
• 2-5 years of relevant experience
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in database management and web application programming
Required Specific Skills:
• Proficiency with SQL Server Reporting Services and Microsoft Visual Studio and/or related tools
• Proficiency with SiteCore Content or similar content management system.
• Signficant SharePoint 2010 development experience including workflows, use of SharePoint Designer, Dashboard Designer and InfoPath.
• ASP.NET 2.0, AJAX and the .NET framework v3.5 and v4.x
• Web Services and knowledge of underlying protocols such as SOAP and WSDL
• C# 2.0 (3.0 / LINQ a plus)
• IIS 6.0/7.0
• XML, XML Schemas, XPath and XSLT
• Database design knowledge, including table relationships, keys, constraints and indexes
• Database development, including experience in writing efficient queries and stored procedures
• Ability to design efficient and intuitive user interface (UI) screens
• Firm grasp of web concepts such as state management, load balancing and networking
• Knowledge of software performance-tuning, testing and quality assurance principles
• Computer science fundamentals such as data structures (and when to use them), OO, multithreading, caching; and experience in partitioning applications into tiers
• Mobile web/app development
Preferred additional skills:
• Experience with fundraising software, and corporate financial systems
• Software architecture
• Database architecture
• Database tuning
National Aquarium in Baltimore - 14 months ago