Be part of something innovative and cutting edge.
Join our team of more than seventy software engineers, designers, project managers and software specialists that are smart, creative and excited by what they do.
Some of our ground-breaking work includes:
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a leading professional services firm with a growing software engineering and product development team. We design and build things that are inspiring and make a real impact in the online testing industry. We are currently seeking a Web Designer to join our team in the Washington, DC office.
- advanced computer-adaptive algorithms (only one that’s peer-approved in the country)
- mobile support for the user interfaces
- learning management systems with social media features
- user interfaces that are universally accessible to people with or without disabilities
- innovative, machine-scorable items
The Web Designer will be a part of the Interaction Design Team, assisting with lead designers on large high-profile online assessment systems. We’re looking for someone who can problem solve some tricky CSS issues and has an intuitive feel for both usability and accessibility. We like to think of the proper candidate as a front-end mechanic rather than a designer. You will be responsible for troubleshooting front end issues on large systems that are built to support multiple browsers and mobile devices. You may get to own smaller projects as they become available.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Troubleshoot CSS display and rendering issues in dynamic, web-based applications on a variety of browsers and operating systems and mobile devices.
2. Implement simple designs from a Photoshop file using css and html (no tables).
3. Develop wireframes for an application.
4. Provide programmers and managers feedback on usability.
5. Unit test work in multiple browsers and devices prior to delivery.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER AND PORTFOLIO (The portfolio must be viewable online and have sample HTML and CSS. In collaborative work, please be specific about your role.)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design, Computer Science or related degree and 2-3 years experience
- Strong understanding of CSS, CSS3 and strong working knowledge of HTML and HTML5.
- Use of best practices to create clean, cross-platform code that is semantically correct and Section 508 compliant.
- High attention to detail and excellent time management
- Excellent analytical or critical thinking skills
- Quick aptitude for learning new software
- Highly motivated to achieve client satisfaction with timely, high quality services
- Self-starter and motivator with a strong sense of accountability
- Experience with Visual Studio
- Experience with Versioning Systems.
- Experience working in both Mac and Windows operating systems is preferred.