TheAtlantic.com is seeking a Visual Web Designer who will generate original design concepts and provide design solutions for new products, existing site features and online marketing initiatives. The designer will work closely with a team of product managers, editors, marketers and presentation layer developers to produce superior design concepts for the website or online marketing campaigns, across desktop and tablet experiences including emails and newsletters. The designer will translate business requirements and concepts into wireframes, workflows, prototypes and visual designs. The ideal candidate will have a strong user interface design focus, with an understanding of user interface standards, information architecture, and industry best practices, including mobile-optimized designs. The designer will execute an online design vision working closely with the creative director to ensure cohesive representation of all brands.
- Propose design solutions, working with cross-functional business, editorial, marketing and print design groups to define an online visual strategy
- Create and refine site maps, wireframes and task flows
- Develop and annotate design mocks, deliver production-ready design assets
- Work closely with technology team to ensure feasibility and scalability of design
- Conduct a cross browser review of all new pages prior to launch
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
All applicants should be prepared to present a portfolio of their previous work as part of the interview process.
- 5+ years online visual design experience
- Experience with wireframing, prototyping and developing design specifications
- Solid understanding of web and mobile web standards, web browser capabilities, user experience, and common web technologies (AJAX, HTML5, dHTML, XML and CSS3)
- Expertise with Adobe CS5 Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator & In Design)
- Knowledge of product development lifecycle and experience working with product managers, presentation layer development, marketing and quality assurance teams
- Experience developing online marketing assets including newsletters, email campaigns, microsites and ad units
- Experience with Flash and Flash scripting
- Experience with responsive design and cross-platform design; experience with application design a plus
- Excellent communication skills, ability to multi-task and prioritize , strong attention to detail
- Force of Ideas - At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity - Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character
Atlantic Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Atlantic Media Company - 11 months ago