Develop, support and maintain modern web applications by writing robust code and collaborating in a team environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Take an active part in web application development. This includes not only writing code, but also helping guide the direction of an application with feature and technology suggestions/discussions.
2. Maintain and enhance existing web applications. The ability to diagnose and solve issues is critical.
3. Comfortable with all aspects of the technology stack – from client side programming, to configuring the various servers that run the applications.
4. Monitors applications for any abnormalities, and look for areas to improve availability and speed of the applications.
5. Works effectively with members from differentdepartments during all stages of application development.
6. Conductsweb application related training.
7. Occasional travel for training, meetings or trade shows may be required.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required, by management.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field preferred.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience developing web applications that are used in a production environment required.
- Experience writing robust, pragmatic code following design patterns/anti-patterns.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements/Specialized Courses and/or Training:
- Experience with the development and support of database-driven web applications using server-side programming/scripting languages such as Ruby, Python, Java, and PHP. Knowledge of test driven development a plus.
- Experience developing web applications using a MVC framework such as Ruby on Rails.
- Understanding of good relational database design. Experience with NoSQL data stores is a plus. Must be able to write SQL queries, and understand database concepts such as stored procedures, views and triggers.
- Knowledgeable about web standards, W3C specifications and cross-browser/cross-platform/cross-device compatibility.
- Experience with distributed version control systems such as Git or Mercurial
- Ability to work effectively with little supervision and strong attention to detail in a team environment.
- Requires the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time.
- Individual must be highly motivated and self-directed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn Ruby, Ruby on Rails, SQL Server.
- Knowledge of the following is a plus: REST style web service design, site optimization techniques, video delivery.
Machine, Tools, and/or Equipment Skills:
Experience working with code editors, team collaboration software. Individual must feel comfortable using the command line. Experience with Mac OS X is a plus.