Overview of our Regional Information Services Section
Through Web and Intranet sites, Web-based applications, and the development of complex databases, the Regional Information Services team deploys tools and resources that allow public access to regional data sources as well as enhance internal business processes. As a member of this team, the intern will gain exposure to the industry-leading work SANDAG is doing in these areas.
With the guidance and mentoring of senior staff, this position will provide a hands-on learning experience in the Web site and application development profession. Examples of intern responsibilities include:
- Contribute as a team member to various assignments and projects; participate in meetings and liaise with customers and project partners; gather user requirements.
- Assist with the development and modification of SharePoint Intranet sites used for various business functions.
- Assist with Web site modifications and enhancements and provide technical support.
- Assist with the development and enhancement of Web-based database applications.
- Assist with developing and maintaining Web-based mapping applications.
- Assist with developing SQL queries, stored procedures, and other database related tasks.
- Other related work as assigned.
SANDAG staff are known for their commitment to excellence and passion for the work they do. We look for the same qualities in interns. To be most successful in this position, our ideal candidate would have the following education, experience, and attributes:
- An educational background that includes coursework in programming and database development.
- Ability to creatively apply technology to solve data sharing and business process problems.
- Ability to independently complete complex assignments that involve analyzing user requirements, designing, and implementing a solution.
- Experience using and configuring SharePoint; experience programming SharePoint Web Parts is desirable.
- Experience with ESRIs ArcGIS software is desirable.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to multitask and work on several projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated flexibility and willingness to perform a variety of tasks typical of an entry-level Web developer position.
Program, Pay, and Perks
This internship is offered as a one-year position, working approximately 20 hours per week. The work is performed during SANDAGs normal business hours; a specific schedule would be worked out between the intern and manager.
Interns are paid a starting rate of $13.50 per hour and are provided with several perks such as pro-rated holiday pay, a regional transit pass, TDM incentives, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
How to Apply
We encourage all interested candidates to apply for this internship by sending us a completed Employment Application form. A cover letter describing how this internship would contribute to your career goals in software engineering along with 2-to-3 pages of sample code from a recent project is highly desirable.
The application form can be downloaded from the Careers section of the SANDAG Web site. Once completed, your application materials can be e-mailed to email@example.com or sent to SANDAG, Attn: Human Resources, 401 B Street, Suite 800, San Diego, CA 92101.
Apply immediately. We are accepting applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. The internship is expected to start in March 2013.
Any questions regarding this internship or application procedures can be referred to Cristen Powell, Human Resources Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (619) 595-5379.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer
San Diego Association of Governments - 10 months ago
The San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) is comprised of 18 city and county governments which serve as a forum for regional...