The web editor plays a significant role in the development and maintenance of the Association’s main website and online communications. Specific responsibilities include reviewing content prior to publishing and guiding program areas in their Web communications efforts to ensure quality, consistency, timeliness and usability. The web editor also manages Web projects; evaluates and reports Web usage statistics and trends; trains and supports staff in content management and community collaboration tools; and supports Association marketing and strategic goals through promotional content.
DIRECT REPORTS: None
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Customer Focus
- Planning and Organization
- Initiating Action
- Gaining Commitment
- Technical Professional Knowledge and Skills
The web editor works with the director, Internet strategy & communications to determine specific, outcome-focused performance goals for each of the following areas of responsibility.
CONTENT MANAGEMENT & SUPPORT 70%
1. Respond daily to requests to review, edit and publish content submitted by staff though the content management system.
2. Ensure published content complies with established Web usability guidelines and AP style, is consistent with brand themes and language, and is optimized for internal and external search.
3. Ensure content descriptions and titles are appropriate, succinct and enticing to users.
4. Meet regularly with staff in assigned program areas to identify and implement new content and functionality to meet member information needs, and Association and program area strategic goals.
5. Train and support staff in content management system and Web writing best practices.
6. Ensure assigned staff keeps content up-to-date.
7. Help implement service standards and Web site guidelines and policies for content and processing.
8. Help support staff in set up and use of Telligent community tools.
WEBSITE ANALYTICS 10%
MARKETING AND PROMOTION 10%
- Regularly generate and analyze reports on Web site usage trends through Sitecore/Google Analytics and other Web site usage statistics for program areas to illustrate user behavior and identify opportunities to better meet communication and marketing needs.
- Help educate staff on how to read and use analytics reports on their content.
- Develop consistent onsite promotional ads/buttons and cross-linkages for key content and products in support of Association’s strategic goals and program needs
- Manage schedule for homepage and interior page promotions.
- Assist director in developing and implementing overall site marketing and promotion plan.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Manage communication into Webmaster e-mail account and responds to requests on daily basis.
- Help troubleshoot errors and user issues with the site.
- Participate in departmental planning meetings and offer ideas to help meet member needs.
- Participate in the development of strategic plans for communications and the Web.
- Periodically assist in social media strategy execution as directed, including involvement in posting on behalf of the Association account to Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. (temporary)
A combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge is qualifying.
Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in English or related discipline is preferred.
- Minimum of four years progressive experience in Web content development, technology and/or PR/communications
- Training in Web usability is required
- Experience writing and editing content specifically for the Web is required
- Experience in analyzing website usage statistics for actionable intelligence a plus
- Experience in optimizing content for search engines a plus
- Experience with national non-profit or trade association a plus
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills with AP Style
- Evidence-based Web usability standards
- Content management best practices
- Search engine optimization (basic)
- Software skills* HTML (basic)
- Sitecore at “advanced business user” level (training provided by Association)
- Sitecore Digital Marketing Suite at “fundamentals” level (training provided by Association)
- Telligent community tools (training provided by Association)
- Photoshop for website graphics (intermediate)
- Microsoft Office applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point
- Microsoft CRM (basic)
- Ability to plan, implement, manage and evaluate multiple projects and programs
- Ability to work quickly yet accurately, and prioritize multiple support requests from staff
- Ability to initiate and manage own work, and meet deadlines
- Ability to analyze and solve problems pragmatically
- Ability to offer creative ideas and brainstorm well with others
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to coach/correct others in supportive and confident way, and interact with individuals at all levels
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
- Extensive periods of sitting and keyboard/computer work
- Communicates in person and over the phone
- May lift packages weighing up to 25 pounds
- Minimal travel (10%)
Children' s Hospital Association - 12 months ago