Fabulous position with lots of mentoring! Now is the time to leverage your technical education and customer service savvy in a team-oriented environment. We offer stability, growth opportunities, outstanding benefits, and opportunities for additional compensation via overtime or on-call shifts. Business Wire is located in the financial district of San Francisco, ½ block away from BART/MUNI Metro.
Company and Job Description:
The Web Operations Specialist is responsible for providing outstanding web support and services to internal and external Business Wire users of the Web Services via email, phone, and fax. The specialist will work as a team member performing any and all functions necessary for the successful operation of the website.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(Duties include the following - other duties may be assigned)
Respond to Technical Support Requests via email, phone and fax in a timely manner:
- Post, maintain and modify content on businesswire.com
- Plan, design, develop and maintain site design templates on websites hosted by Business Wire (using the Drupal open source content management system (CMS) and Vignette Application Portal.
- Develop, maintain and enforce Business Wire site(s) style guide and other user interface standards.
- Assist internal and external clients with questions relating to the website services
- Diagnose problems
- Document issues in incident tracking database
- Act as escalation channel to development
Teamwork is essential. Support is provided 24/7 (weekends are done on-call) by a team of 6 operations specialists. Work is often transferred between shifts so the ability to communicate and work jointly with other team members on technical issues and assignments for round-the-clock service is required.
- Report bugs to development
- Assist development with QA activities
- Create and maintain knowledgebase documents
- Create HTML documents as needed
- Create scripts and programs to automate support activities
- Document policies and procedures
- Mentor other Support Specialists
- Participate in on-call, weekend pager rotation for support duties
- Other duties may be periodically assigned
- Excellent technical troubleshooting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to explain technical information to non-technical users
- Working knowledge of programming in Java/JSP desired
- Working knowledge of basic Web graphics/design (using PhotoShop or Fireworks to edit/create basic graphics) required
- Must be able to convert a site-design or .psd file into a Web page
- Detailed knowledge and experience with webcasting applications
- Experience with UNIX (Solaris) command line required
- Develop and execute test scripts
- Outstanding ownership and follow through
**Highly Desirable: Bilingual or Trilingual in German, French or Spanish in addition to fluent English.
- Experience with administration of a large content-publishing system to develop/maintain extensive amounts of content desired, specifically with Drupal CMS or Vignette Portal Software (Joomla or WordPress are options also)
- Vignette (Epicentric) portal software
- CGI (Perl, csh) coding
- Working knowledge of programming in Java/JSP
- Experience with using a large content-publishing system to develop/maintain extensive amounts of content, specifically with Drupal CMS or Vignette Portal Software
Work Schedule (days/hours of position):
Send a resume (in Word format) and cover letter to: WOS@businesswire.com and include "Web Operations Specialist" in the subject line.
- Shift: 8 hour shift with 1 hour lunch ranging from 6:00am to 7:00pm (6-3pm, or 7-4pm, or 8-5pm or 9-6pm).
- Job will occasionally require over time before or after regular shift
- Job will occasionally require switching shifts in order to cover for coworkers
- Weekend on-call hours are required on a rotating basis – on-call means within reach of home/computer within 10 minutes of being paged
Business Wire - 11 months ago