The Virginia Bioinformatics Institute (
) at Virginia Tech is a world-class research institute in the life sciences, integrating theory, modeling and simulation with computational and experimental science in a transdisciplinary, team-based research environment. The Institute’s mission is to solve some of society’s most important problems in the life sciences through transdisciplinary research and education, including but not limited to, biomedicine, modeling and simulation of biological and other networks, and bioinformatics.
operates research laboratories and programs in both Blacksburg and Arlington, Virginia, in the National Capital Region.
Reporting to the IT Development Lead, the successful candidate will serve as the coordinator for
and associated research websites. The website coordinator will participate in site design and usability review, and will be responsible for brand and standards compliance, as well as the collection, publication and update of website content. The website coordinator will also be responsible for analysis of website usage and search statistics, as well as implementing and maintaining search engine optimization strategies and best practices. The website coordinator will be expected to work with diverse teams in the creation, maintenance and support of web content and applications to include support, testing and fixes. This position will collaborate with senior leadership, faculty and VBI’s IT Development and Communication teams for the timely publication and maintenance of websites and content through both static and dynamic delivery mechanisms.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, communications, information technology or related field; or equivalent professional experience
- Proven experience with web tools and environments, including common Content Management Systems,
targeting both desktop and mobile devices
- Solid understanding of web environments, to include
- Demonstrated experience in content creation and maintenance of user-friendly, visually-appealing, dynamically-populated websites
- Experience in the collection and analysis of website usage and search statistics, as well as effective implementation of Search Engine Optimization practices and strategies
- Strong communication, organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to work with a variety of stakeholders, and to integrate disparate needs and goals into a common and consistent set of goals and outcomes
- Ability to work in a diverse team setting as well as independently with minimal supervision, but with a strong commitment to working as part of a team to achieve larger goals
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously and to work under pressure
- Experience with the ExpressionEngine Content Management System
- Knowledge or experience to effectively leverage Social Media to further the organization’s visibility, stature, and goals across social groups
- Knowledge or experience with automated testing of websites and web applications
- Knowledge or experience with data visualization
- Proficiency in the use of website development-oriented tools including
and related editors/IDEs, as well as browser-based content inspection and analysis tools
- knowledge or experience with web servers such as Apache
Server and the use of associated basic server modules and server configuration
Must have a criminal background check
Must have a conviction check:
How to Apply for this Job:
For a complete listing of position qualifications, and to apply, please visit www.jobs.vt.edu, and search for posting #SW0130692. Review of applications will begin on January 6, 2014.
If restricted or temporary, enter end date:
Exempt: Not eligible for overtime
Academic Year or Calendar Year:
If part time, enter Percent Time:
Commensurate with Experience
Virginia Bioinformatics Institute
Location, if not Blacksburg:
Review Begin Date:
Job Close Date:
Restricted to university employees only?
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Virginia Bioinformatics Institute - 8 months ago