Perform various types of welding operations such as arc welding (M.I.G. and T.I.G.) and gas welding in addition to supplemental welding operations including; oxy-fuel torch cutting, brazing, grinding and pre/post-heating.
- Cleans and prepares surfaces to be welded and/or fit.
- Assembles and fits materials to be welded with temporary welds (tack welds).
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and weld symbols.
- Ability to perform welding operations to design specifications.
- Re-surface worn and defective materials.
- Ability to use an oxy-fuel torch to remove material.
- Ability to correctly set-up various welding machines (amperage, voltage, speeds and pulse) maximizing their efficiency and effectiveness per application.
- Ability to weld in various positions: vertical, horizontal, flat and overhead.
- Ability to perform supplemental welding operations including; grinding and heating.
- Ability to work shifts and overtime, if required.
- Ability to keep a clean, organized and safe work cell.
- Ability to keep an accurate record of daily operations and material usage.
- Performs other duties and assumes accountabilities as apparent or as delegated, including mutually agreed upon objectives.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or General Education Degree (GED) is required.
- Current welding certification is preferred.
- Two or more years welding experience is preferred.
- Qualification to operate fork trucks/tow motors is preferred.
- Familiarity with overhead cranes is preferred.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers and other employees.
Ability to perform fundamental mathematical calculations including: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry-out instructions furnished in; written and diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Special Position Requirements:
In addition to the ability to perform each of the accountabilities satisfactorily, a candidate must be able to pass an in-house “welding” test administered by Bucyrus.
Must be willing to work overtime based on business needs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly exposed to moving objects (materials handled and transported throughout the plant via cranes, fork trucks and other employees). The employee is also regularly exposed to hot materials and sparks emitted throughout the welding process as well as various other operations ongoing throughout the plant. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes and airborne particles. The employee is also frequently exposed to sharp and abrasive edges which may result in scrapes, cuts and bruises. The employee is occasionally exposed to humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Considerable glare, ultraviolet light and sparks are emitted from the welding process, thus necessitating the use of personal protective equipment by the welder and enclosing the work cell as best as possible to minimize the exposure of these factors to others.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Caterpillar - 18 months ago
For more than 85 years, Caterpillar has been making sustainable progress possible — for our customers, for growing communities and for...