THE YMCA OF GREATER SEATTLE
You long for impact and purpose. We offer it daily. At
our 12 branches, two overnight camps and more than 200
program sites, YMCA employees serve the people of King
and south Snohomish Counties with programs and services
tailored to fit the needs of those we reach. Three
overarching goals drive our work: youth development,
healthy lifestyles and social responsibility. We have an
immediate job opening for a qualified candidate whose
values align with our organization: Respect,
Responsibility, Honesty and Caring.
Instructs wellness, fitness, and/or related classes.
Acts as a liaison and advocate for YMCA Total
Health/Activate America. Understands the "Health Seeker"
target market and provides motivational coaching to
members participating in ongoing Total Health/Activate
1. Experienced: proven ability in exercise class
instruction, or personal training
2. Current state approved first aid certification. *
3. Current state approved CPR for the Professional
4. High school education or equivalent preferred.
5. Twenty-five hours of practical experience as fitness,
wellness, or personal trainer/instructor, or equivalent
(Additional YMCA certification and/or external
professional certification, ie .AFAA, ACE, ACSM, NSCA,
6. Applicable YMCA certifications such as, YMCA Healthy
Lifestyles Principles, Foundations of YMCA Group
Exercise, YMCA Strength Training ** or previous YMCA or
7. Listen First Level I* and II** training
8. Ability to respond to safety and emergency
9. Ability to set up, move and store class equipment.
10. Prefer knowledge of, and previous experience with,
diverse populations (language, culture, race, physical
ability, sexual orientation, etc.). Ability to speak any
language in addition to English may be helpful.
- Within 30 days of employment or at first available
** Within 90 days of employment or at first available
CORE COMPETENCIES ESSENTIAL TO SUCCESS INCLUDE:
- Supporting our Mission, Vision and Direction of the
Participants, Internal Customers and Others
- Building Community
- Providing a Quality Experience for Members,
- Working Productively
- Using Effective Personal Behaviors/Communicates
Respect, and Responsibility.
- Ability to embrace our core values: Caring, Honesty,
1. Plans for and instructs wellness/fitness and/or
related classes following Association standards and
guidelines. Observes and discusses individual progress
2. Develops positive relationships with participants and
facilitates relationships among participants and
members. Provides motivational support and guidance.
3. Increases participant awareness of all healthy
4. Encourages member and parent involvement and
identifies potential volunteers.
5. Sets up and takes down class equipment. Reports
6. Attends staff meetings and approved trainings as
7. Ensures safe and effective workouts. Responds to, and
reports, accidents and incidents.
8. Conveys basic information on Y Total Health/Activate
9. Tracks, monitors, evaluates and transitions assigned
Total Health participants providing motivational
10. Accurately maintains related records.
11. May lead Total Health Consultation.
12. May lead one or more ongoing Y Total Health programs
such as Y Personal Fitness, Eight Weeks to Wellness, Get
Come join the YMCA of Greater Seattle where we promote a
continuous learning environment and career
opportunities. Competitive pay range and excellent
benefit package includes free YMCA membership, health,
dental, life and disability insurance; tuition
assistance; 12% retirement fund contribution, when
http://www.seattleymca.org/Pages/Careers.aspx, or mail
to 909 Fourth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104-1194, Attention:
Human Resources Department.
The YMCA of Greater Seattle is an equal opportunity
employer committed to workplace diversity. We are a
Mon- Wed. Fri. 8-9am
YMCA of the USA is the national resource office for the nation's 2,663 YMCAs, which serve nearly 20.2 million people each year, including...