Senior Washington Representative
Food and Environment Program
Washington, DC Office
UCS’s Food and Environment (F&E) program is seeking a highly qualified individual to lead UCS’s efforts to reorient U.S. agriculture in the direction of a healthy, sustainable, and just system through the myriad programs of the farm bill. Under the supervision of the campaign manager and in collaboration with other program staff, advocate UCS positions on farm policy and food systems to Congress and the executive branch; participate in the development of UCS policy positions; lead legislative activities; maintain a comprehensive knowledge of relevant issues; represent UCS before the media and the public; prepare written material for advocacy purposes; and participate in outreach, membership, and activist-related activities in support of program and organizational goals.
Qualifications and experience: Five to seven years of relevant legislative or lobbying experience at the national or state level on environmental, agricultural, or other science policy issues; experience in public-interest advocacy campaigns and policy analysis, including demonstrated success in designing and leading legislative and executive branch campaigns; demonstrated commitment to advocacy; proven competence in science or technical policy subject matter; experience working in cross-disciplinary and cross-departmental advocacy campaigns; and proven oral and written communication skills. A background in agriculture, biology, food policy, or environmental science and experience working on the Farm Bill are preferred but not essential.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with congressional representatives and staff, administration officials, and allied advocates.
- With the campaign manager, design and lead legislative and executive branch campaigns and other policy initiatives to win approval of progressive public policies that reflect UCS’s policy goals.
- Monitor the progress of legislation and policies in Congress and at federal agencies, respectively.
- Participate in key coalition activities and offer legislative expertise and support to community-based allies.
- Represent UCS to the media and general public.
- Write testimony, fact sheets, briefing papers, op-ed pieces, letters, comments, articles for UCS print publications and web, and other material as needed for advocacy.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full time position based in UCS’s Washington, DC, office. For candidates who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $70,000. UCS offers excellent benefits and is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff and to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, salary requirements, how you learned about the position and resume via email to email@example.com and include “Senior Washington Representative” in the subject line. Email materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please. Deadline: March 31 or until filled.
EnvironmentJobs - 8 months ago