Performs responsibilities as a project accountant in the Financial Operations Group. This position supports the Financial Reporting team which includes the functions of accounts receivable, Work for Other project accounting, and general accounting. This position will provide analysis of routine and complex issues and accounts. This position must be able to communicate and find solutions for internal NREL customers as well as external NREL customers. Maintains compliance with applicable laws, regulations, DOE contractual requirements, and NREL and Alliance policies and procedures. This position reports to the Financial Reporting Manager
• Reviews and analyzes routine and complex customer contracts and cost plans.
• Monitors and analyzes monthly project costs in conjunction with maintaining sufficient customer advances
• Finds solutions to complex accounting problems and customer issues
• Prepares routine and complex customer invoices and provides adequate supporting documentation based on individual customer needs.
• Prepares routine and complex accounting reports as needed.
• Reviews and accounts for customer receivables, advances, payments, and collections.
• Communicates with customers and Principal Investigators both verbally and in writing, as needed.
• Reviews and analyzes accounting data, reconciliations, and reports.
• Conducts routine and complex accounting research and analyses, including account and variance analyses.
• Prepares manual journal entries and supporting documentation.
• Provides testing and migration support of solutions through Oracle and other financial software applications to ensure results.
• Prepares, reviews, and modifies accounting desk procedures.
• Provides internal controls and risk analyses as needed.
• Assists staff in adoption and implementation of new techniques and processes.
Required Education and Experience
Relevant Bachelor's Degree and 2 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Or, relevant Master's Degree or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
General knowledge and application of technical standards, principles, theories and techniques. Frequent application of industry concepts and principles.
General knowledge of laws, regulations, principles, procedures and practices related to specific field. Skilled in problem solving, written and verbal communication. Ability to use various computer software programs.
Additional Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Thorough working knowledge of GAAP. Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills with a variety of customers and management levels. Must be detail oriented and a team player. Meeting critical deadlines is a must. Intermediate knowledge of personal computers and spreadsheets.
Certified Public Accountant or CPA Candidate. Ability to interpret and apply federal and Department of Energy (DOE) regulations and accounting guidelines. Demonstrated experience with an integrated job-cost (project) based accounting system. Prior government contractor experience. Demonstrated experience with Oracle financial applications.
National Renewable Energy Laboratory - 13 months ago