There is a community that exists inside our organization. Working as a team at Ashford University, we build partnerships while providing opportunities for students and employees to grow and become their best. We nurture our employees and strive to promote from within.
Ashford University’s vision is to provide high-quality, accessible and affordable degree programs that meet the diverse educational needs of individuals pursuing informed personal goals and success in their professions and communities.
Ashford University was founded on the principle that education improves lives. Ashford University employees witness such change every day. Ashford University is doing well by doing good, and we value the opportunity we've been given.
The Writing Center Manager position is a full-time employment opportunity. Ashford University (AU) is seeking an exceedingly well organized and detail-oriented person to assist in reforming and reorganizing its Online Writing Center (OWC). The OWC manager will be responsible for managing the OWC’s day-to-day activities.
Essential Job Duties:
Additional Job Duties (include but are not limited to):
- Assisting the OWC Director in the selection of all writing tutors
- Preparing tutor hiring letters and contracts
- Coordinating tutor work schedules
- Managing and monitoring the day-to-day activities of the OWC
- Providing writing assistance and instruction to online students via email, phone, and chat
- Assisting the OWC Director with the design and development of the OWC website
- Developing electronic training materials for the OWC website
- Managing the OWC website publication workflow and affiliated technologies
- Assisting with ongoing OWC assessment activities, such as surveys and focus groups
- Assisting with infrastructure development, including the evaluation of hardware, software, peripheries, and electronic resources
- Providing Tier-1 technical support related to the OWC
- Assisting the OWC Director with other duties as needed
- Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization.
- Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships.
- Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, customer community.
- Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility.
- Leading Change: This competency serves as the foundation of the Leadership competency model as it aligns the behaviors and characteristic of the individuals with the organization’s mission and core values. Inherent in this competency is the individual’s ability to balance change and continuity; to continually strive to improve organizational framework; to create a work environment that encourages innovation; and to maintain focus, intensity and persistence, even under adversity.
- Leading People: The second leadership competency involves the ability to maximize human capital by fostering an environment that encompasses the organization’s culture and execute the mission, goals and core values.
- Business Acumen: This competency involves the ability to understand and administer business information cross departmentally in a manner that inspires confidence, instills trust and accomplishes the organization’s goals.
- Building Communication: The fourth leadership competency encompasses written and verbal communications of facts and ideas as well as developing a professional network inside and outside the organization.
- Driving Results: The final competency stresses accountability and continuous improvement through decision making, execution and producing results.
Looking for additional insight on this specific role? Not sure if the job is for you, but know someone who sounds like a perfect fit? Email us at: TalentAcquisition@bpiedu.com and someone with the inside track would be more than happy to be a resource for you!
- The candidate should have BA in English or other sufficiently writing-intensive major.
- The candidate should demonstrate a strong writing and editing background
- Experience tutoring in the subject area of college composition
- Experience using electronically mediated communication platforms, such as video conference, email, and chat.
- Experience developing instructional materials in the subject area of college composition
- Experience developing and managing websites
- Experience with editing and publishing workflows
- The candidate should hold a Ph.D. in English with emphasis in rhetoric and composition.
- He or she should have least two to three years of college or university teaching experience (including some online teaching) and two to three years of experience working in—or, for—a writing center (preferably one with a significant online component).
- The ideal candidate will have two to three years of college or university tutoring experience in the area of college composition (including some online tutoring) and one year¬¬ of experience working in, or for, a writing center (preferably one with a significant online component).
- The ideal candidate will also have considerable experience working with non-traditional students who are returning to school to complete their education after a long absence.
- He or she should also have experience working with or within electronically mediated systems, including learning management systems, content management systems, websites, web-conferencing systems, chat applications, etc.
- Applicants are encouraged to qualify their experience with specific web design and new-media development software in their applications and on their resume or curriculum vitae.
Note: This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, a credit check investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history and a professional reference check; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended.
- M.A. in English or related field- required- emphasis in rhetoric and composition (preferred)
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Communication Skills: While performing Duties of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in one-on-one and small group situations.
Mental Demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions.
Work Environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment, and the noise level is usually quiet to moderate.
Our Parent Organization: Bridgepoint Education has built its corporate culture around its core values; ethics, integrity, service and accountability. Ethics is a central part of employee training and is reinforced on a daily basis. Integrity in the way we treat both internal and external constituents is paramount to Bridgepoint Education's success. Service at the highest level is expected and recognized. Last, accountability toward one's co-workers, students and role within the organization has allowed Bridgepoint Education to cultivate a high-quality management team.
By providing both online and campus-based programs at Ashford University and University of the Rockies, Bridgepoint Education offers access to both traditional and adult learners seeking high quality, convenient higher education degree programs.
We offer our team competitive benefits (M/V/D/401k/ESPP) and salaries, a safe work environment, innovative training, accelerated career advancement, the ability to take classes and programs gratis, and a collegiate and collaborative environment to work and grow in. Ashford University understands that our success depending on the development of strong leadership within the organization.
To be considered an applicant, all interested and qualified parties MUST apply through the Ashford University online employment application system.
For additional information about our University, please visit www.ashford.edu.
Ashford University is an Affirmative Action employer that provides Equal Employment Opportunity to all employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, handicap or disability, or Vietnam-era or special veteran status. This policy is established and administered in accordance with all applicable federal and state laws.
Wait, there’s more… For more cool up-to-date news follow us on Twitter: @BPEdCareers and @AshfordUCareers
Ashford University - 14 months ago
You can help people change their lives when they choose to pursue higher education and earn a degree from Ashford University. With more...