Do you have a passion for education and writing? Would you like to utilize your communication skills in a fast-paced, innovative, collaborative environment? Are you organized with a keen attention to detail? If so, this could be your opportunity to shine!
Our Writing Services Department is looking for a talented Writing Instructional Specialist to support a diverse group of teaching assistants by providing guidance, monitoring online courses, and developing innovative learning resources. Writing Instructional Specialists have the chance to use cutting edge technology to ensure quality in the online learning forum.
If you find that contributing to the ever-evolving field of online higher education motivates you, then this might be the perfect opportunity for you.
NOTE: This position is located in Clinton, Iowa and is not remote.
The Writing Instructional Specialist role includes monitoring and evaluating online courses to ensure that best practice in writing instruction is maintained, providing teaching assistants with constructive feedback, and ensuring student learning needs are met within the online course environment. The Writing Instructional Specialist reports to the Writing Instructional Specialist Manager.
Essential Job Duties:
Additional Job Duties (include but are not limited to):
- Provide guidance and support via email and phone to Ashford teaching assistants and staff.
- Monitor and evaluate online courses.
- Ensure best practice in writing instruction.
- Deliver constructive feedback to teaching assistants.
- Ensure student learning needs are met in the online course environment.
- Contribute to development of instructional and support materials.
- As an active member of the Academic Affairs department of Ashford University, the Writing Instructional Specialist is actively involved and accepts other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization.
- Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships.
- Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, customer community.
- Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility.
- Experience teaching writing or grading and delivering feedback on student composition skills.
- Computer literacy including PC skills and MS Office.
- Experience using e-College or other learning management system preferred.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with teaching assistants and staff.
- Experience with distance education and/or teaching experience preferred.
- Professional and competent demeanor.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to prioritize, schedule and meet deadlines.
- Ability to think creatively and problem-solve.
- Highly proficient communication skills (oral and written).
Note: This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, a credit check investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history and a professional reference check; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended.
- A minimum of a Bachelors Degree in English, Journalism, Communication, or Education.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Communication Skills: While performing Duties of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in one-on-one and small group situations.
Mental Demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions.
Work Environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment, and the noise level is usually quiet to moderate.
For additional information about our University, please visit www.ashford.edu.
Ashford University is an Affirmative Action employer that provides Equal Employment Opportunity to all employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, handicap or disability, or Vietnam-era or special veteran status. This policy is established and administered in accordance with all applicable federal and state laws.
Ashford University - 13 months ago
You can help people change their lives when they choose to pursue higher education and earn a degree from Ashford University. With more...