Kendall College is currently seeking a Writing Support Specialist to help tutor and instruct students in our Academic Success Center (ASC). The ASC provides assistance and motivational support for learners in their efforts to develop strong, independent academic skills and positive lifelong learning. The center also provides ADA accommodations to those in need. The ASC supports academic standards across the curriculums including general education. With a focus on academic support in conjunction with faculty, staff, and administrators, the ASC supports its diverse population as it achieves its academic goals by fostering a student-centered environment focused on academic excellence. This position is based at Kendall College in downtown Chicago, Illinois and reports to the Director of Academic Success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Writing Support Specialist is responsible for providing academic support to all Kendall College students both on-campus and online in all programs, and assisting the ASC with accommodating the growing needs of the college. The Writing Support Specialist also helps to prevent students from probation status, gives support to at-risk students, and provides service in effort to decrease the overall number of students in these academic situations - at-risk, probation and academic suspension. The Writing Support Specialist completes administrative duties, such as record keeping, professional assessments, preparing letters to instructors, student assessments, and peer tutor performance assessments. In addition, there are receptionist duties when needed.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree and courses in composition theory and teaching English as a Second Language required.
- Master's Degree in English with a minimum of 18 graduate hours in Developmental Education and/or Adult Literacy highly desirable.
- 3 years prior professional work experience and some experience teaching or tutoring in secondary or post-secondary setting required.
- Experience in the teaching of writing (in any academic discipline) preferred.
- Special training or experience in areas such as dyslexia, publishing, research or technical writing, also highly desirable.
- Evidence of strong organizational, communication, and computer skills.
- Familiarity with the operation of developmental education programs preferred. Prefer experience with an online homework delivery system.
Laureate Education Inc.
- 2 years ago - save job