Do you have an analytical mind? Are you passionate about problem solving -- both on your own and working alongside others? Does the challenge of optimizing the revenue potential of one of the largest media organizations in the world excite you? Can you take a challenge and run with it? If so, please consider applying for the Analyst position in CBS Interactive’s Yield Management group.
Yield Management brings analyses and insights to people at all levels of the CBS Interactive organization. Our roots go back to the beginnings of online media, where we pioneered some of the first ad-delivery and inventory models. Our responsibilities have grown over the years to encompass pricing and a broader concept of yield management. Today we frequently function like an internal consulting group, focusing on a host of revenue-optimization strategies. These strategies are as varied as page design, media pricing & packaging, sales compensation and corporate strategy, to name a few.
To the applicant, the role offers the following:
Breadth & Variety
- You’ll tackle a wide range of problems, working side-by-side with a diverse group of online media professionals –- software engineers developing smarter site-traffic models, marketing executives creating new go-to-market strategies, etc. You’ll gain broad exposure to all facets of the exciting, fast-changing online media industry.
- Working in Yield Management, a center of analytical expertise within the organization, you will gain a thorough understanding of the business that is grounded in data -– from page views to CPMs to interaction rates. You’ll make an impact by combining a deep understanding of the data with an equally deep understanding of the business to generate new ideas.
Impact & Growth
- Your work matters. You’ll be challenged, and as soon as you’re ready to take on bigger challenges, you’ll get them. Online media is a dynamic industry with a unique set of analytical problems: we want -– and need -- every ounce of your initiative, intelligence and imagination.
- We give you as much freedom as you can handle. Once you’re trained and up to speed, you’ll own your work and the relationships with the groups you work with. You’ll be responsible for knowing the businesses you work with backwards and forwards; and above all, for making an impact on those businesses.
Responsibilities vary, but include:
- Collaborating with Pricing and Sales Management to develop smart, data-driven inventory and pricing strategies.
- In conjunction with software engineers, improving ad delivery/inventory algorithms to maximize revenue.
- Streamlining business processes with the help of Ad Operations.
Passion for problem solving: You must be able to tackle new, unfamiliar, and possibly daunting problems -- to break them down into manageable bits and solve them. We won’t hand you a cookbook. We want you to come up with the recipes.
- Numbers: You must have a strong quantitative background, an intuitive grasp of data, and robust Microsoft Excel skills.
- People: You should like working with them! You will be working with a varied group of stakeholders, each of whom brings a different perspective and skill set to any given problem; you must have the facility with people -- an authentic desire to engage and help, but willingness to stand your ground when necessary -- to lead small teams towards great solutions.
- Communication: In nearly every conversation, you will be “the numbers person.” You must be able to get your message across to individuals who don’t have the same familiarity with data. Whether the individual is a high-level executive or an engineer, you’ll need to be able to tailor your message effectively.
- Energy & Initiative: This isn’t a wait-for-something-to-happen position. You make things happen! We will provide as much training as possible, but as fast as this industry is evolving, realistically you may end up teaching yourself most of what the position requires.
- Ownership: You must be able to drive a project from start to finish: create the framework, assemble the data, run an analysis, recommend a solution, develop a plan and then drive it home.
- Interest: The energy and enthusiasm we demand is hard to muster for those without a genuine interest in what we do. If you share our excitement about an industry that sits at the nexus of technology and media, this could be the position for you.
- Two to five years of related experience is preferred. The candidate should have the demonstrated ability to combine quantitative analysis with effective interpersonal skills (i.e. talking and working with real live human beings) to make a business impact. Strong MS Excel skills are a must. Familiarity with SQL and data structures preferred.
BS/BA degree in math, science, or engineering, or proven track record in a quantitative/problem solving environment (or equivalent training and experience). Successful candidates in the past have come from such varied disciplines as Economics, Computer Science, Industrial Engineering and Management Consulting; however, applicants from all fields are welcome.
Must successfully pass a background check.
CBS Corporation - 14 months ago
The forensic evidence shows this company is tops in the TV ratings. CBS Broadcasting owns and operates the CBS Television Network, the #1...