People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders through its Young Elected Officials Network and its Young People For youth leadership programs; and carries out nonpartisan civic participation activities.
The Young Elected Officials (YEO) Network is looking for an outstanding candidate for a summer and/or fall internship with our Washington, DC policy team. The YEO Network is a program that engages young progressive elected officials in all levels of government. Located in Tallahassee, FL and Washington DC, the YEO Network supports and equips members through policy and research assistance, skills and issue training, personal and professional development, and meaningful networking opportunities. The YEO Network is working to transform the political vision of our elected leaders into progressive action.
Internships with the YEO Network provide students with an opportunity to gain comprehensive insight into the political process by working to build coalitions, researching and supporting policy creation and exchange, and supporting the professional development of elected officials from all levels of office across the country. Internships are unpaid, but we are happy to work with students to arrange academic credit and other professionally enriching opportunities. We also offer a flexible and part time schedule.
In the Policy Internship program, interns will work in many different capacities. Duties will include:
Schedule is flexible.
- Building relationships with elected officials from a variety of offices in communities, states, and regions across the country;
- Performing legislative and policy research on cutting edge progressive ideas from think tanks, partner organizations, and YEOs;
- Creating communications strategies to share opportunities and policy with network members;
- Assisting in organizing skills, policy, and issues education opportunities for elected officials in the form of newsletter articles, teleconferences and national convenings;
- Building relationships with national and regional partners, and participating in meetings, conference calls, and coalition-building initiatives;
- Helping to maintain the daily operations of the Young Elected Officials Network;
- Other duties as assigned.
PFAWF is a leading member of a coalition of nonpartisan groups involved in the Election Protection program in Florida, and has joined the...