Looking for a qualified Youth Care Worker to be responsible for supervising youth and coordinating programs at the Lynchburg Detention Facility. Due to the secure facility requirements of the work, this position must be filled by a male . Successful applicants must have an Associates Degree in criminal justice, behavior sciences or related field and 2 years of relevant experience. Qualified applicants must be able to communicate effectively with at risk and troubled youth and work in a team environment. The Detention Facility is a 24/7 operation and employees must be available to work evenings and weekends and may be asked to fill in at other Lynchburg Juvenile Services facilities and shifts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
• Enforces adolescents’ compliance with program rules and regulations;
• Maintains discipline and control of adolescents at all times with sight and/or sound supervisions;
• Checks rooms for contraband, weapons and general condition of room;
• Observes and documents adolescent behavior constantly to detect potential behavioral problems and prepares detailed reports on incidents;
• Supervises detainees/residents participation in recreational activities such as arts and crafts and indoor and outdoor sports and table games;
• Routinely makes head counts of detainee population as needed;
• Answers telephone, responds to routine questions and/or transfers calls to appropriate staff;
• Instructs and participates directly in various activities with adolescents;
• Intervenes and resolves disputes between adolescents utilizing mediation and counseling skills; physically restrains out-of-control/violent adolescents as needed;
• Inspects facility to ensure ongoing security issues;
• Assigns and supervises detainees/residents in light housekeeping tasks such as making beds, dusting furniture, mopping floors and assisting in preparing and cleaning after meals;
• Eats with residents/residents at meals and supervises seating and serving, as well as table manners and general behavior;
• Supervises and educates detainees/residents in bathing and personal hygiene;
• Reviews and prepares reports on detainees’ and/or residents' behavior and progress; monitors activity contract documents; reviews progress with adolescents;
• Conducts intake and release procedures; prepares discharge reports;
• Counsels adolescents and assists with problem solving;
• Completes required documentation;
• Monitors visitation by family, friends and others;
• Administers first aid and/or CPR as required;
• Administers medications as prescribed;
• Issues and maintains supplies and equipment;
• Assists teachers and adolescents in their educational requirements;
• Transports detainees/residents to and from necessary appointments with medical providers and others;
• Plans, prepares and implements daily program in assigned areas.
• Other duties to provide direct or indirect service to the citizens may be assigned.
• When unusual situations occur and/or the City Manager declares a State of Emergency, all City employees may be required to accept special assignments and perform as needed to ensure appropriate service delivery.
Minimum Education and Experience Required:
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE
Associate’s degree from a two-year college or technical school in criminal justice or behavior sciences or related field and two years related experience. Bachelor's degree in related field preferred.
Possess of valid driver's license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia and acceptable driving record according to City criteria.
Prior to employment, must satisfactorily complete criminal record and reference checks, Child Protective Services check, and tuberculin and drug screen.
Must successfully complete IS100 and IS700 National Incident Management (NIMS) training within 90 days of employment. May also be required to complete higher levels of NIMS training as determined appropriate for the position.
City of Lynchburg, VA - 7 months ago