Position Title: Youth Employment Specialist
Reports To: Lead Youth Development Specialist
Summary: Responsible for recruiting and coordinating employment placement efforts for youth programs. Duties include obtaining and securing employment/internship opportunities for youth participants ages 16-21, assisting in job readiness training, case management and retention activities. Areas of responsibility include: managing employer relations, youth supervision and program data reporting.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adheres to the mission of SER and all partners.
• Works with youth on one-on-one and in small groups to devise job development strategies.
• Develops job leads for youth who face a variety of barriers. Job leads must meet the needs of youth
• Maintains files on all employer corporations including information regarding client referrals and follow-ups.
• Stays current on employment and training trends.
• Contacts prospective employers to determine needs and explain services.
• Conducts presentations, research and outreach to obtain internship and employment opportunities.
• Coordinates employment activities including job fairs, job clubs, and workshops for youth.
• Matches screened and qualified youth to internships/job openings or relevant training.
• Secures employment verifications and retention documentation.
• Performs follow-up with youth and employers after placement, including work site visits.
• Provides choices for youth and guides them in making positive decisions.
• Follows safety measures with youth indoors and outdoors.
• Performs work site visits as needed
• Maintains attendance and other required records.
• Maintains knowledge in current field by attending seminars, workshops and in-service trainings
• Attends staff meetings.
• Must be willing and able to accompany and supervise youth on outings.
• Maintains communication and a positive relationship with other team members, youth, and employers.
• Responsible for communicating discipline issues with Manager of Youth Workforce
• Must be active and involved with all youth in the program.
• Follows all company and program policies and procedures
• Establishes and maintains communication with members of the assigned team about youth needs.
• Collects data and information for periodic program evaluations.
• Maintains records needed for program administration
• Assists in evaluating current procedures and practices for accomplishing objectives. Implements alternative methods for improvement of same at assigned site.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Mandatory Job Qualifications
• Must be able to demonstrate the skill and competence necessary to contribute to each youth's physical, intellectual, personal, emotional, and social development. Factors contributing to the attainment of this standard include:
o Emotional maturity when working with youth
o Cooperation with the purposes and services of the program
o Respect for youth and adults
o Flexibility, understanding and patience
o Physical and mental health that do not interfere with youth work responsibilities
o Good personal hygiene
o Frequent interaction with youth
o Listening skills, availability and responsiveness to youth
o Sensitivity to youth's socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic and religious backgrounds, and individual needs and capabilities
o Use of positive discipline and guidance techniques
o Ability to provide an environment in which youth can feel comfortable, relaxed, happy and involved in play, recreation and other activities
o Skills to help youth meet their developmental and emotional needs
o Skills in planning, directing, and conducting programs that meet the children's basic needs
o Staff shall be willing to participate in activities leading to professional growth in child and youth development and education, and in training related to the specific needs of the youth served
• Proficiency in computer applications.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Willingness to travel locally and work flexible hours
• Must be willing to become a mandated reporter
• Must be able to pass a criminal background check
• Bachelors degree in sales or education preferred, related field accepted such as social work or sociology
Serco employs over 100,000 people in more than 30 countries, delivering local services informed by many years of international experience...