The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environment action organization. We use law, science and the support of 1.3 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. Since 1970, NRDC has played a central role in crafting, implementing, enforcing and defending virtually all of the nation's environmental laws. Today, our staff--made up of more than 430 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy, communications experts and others--pursues cutting-edge litigation, sophisticated lobbying, hard-hitting scientific research and broad-reaching public education to protect the environment and public health.
NRDC is seeking a Youth Outreach Campaign Organizer who will be based in our New York City office and will work with the Executive Director and NRDC's Communication team to build interest, support and activism in the youth (age 18-25) demographic.
The Organizer will recruit and manage a network of student interns who will function as campus organizers; these NRDC Outreach Interns will be tasked with building grassroots support around NRDC's leading campaigns at universities and colleges across the country. In support of this initiative, the Organizer will work with developers, media producers, designers and marketing experts to create interactive content for use in both online and traditional outreach efforts.
The Youth Outreach Campaign Organizer will operate at the intersection of grassroots organizing and online/mobile communications to generate fresh energy and ideas that will build consciousness and motivate action in a growing younger generation of environmentalists.
Required Skills Qualifications:
- Recruit and manage interns
- Identify advocacy and content opportunities
- Coordinate with NRDC staff and partners
- Help develop and execute communications campaigns and associated plans (including writing email alerts, social media and Web content on diverse topics)
- Create communications engagements that utilize Web, email and other channels to achieve NRDC's advocacy goals
- Understand and utilize campaign metrics to measure success, evolve strategies and maximize the impact of NRDC's advocacy work and goals
This position requires an individual with experience working in grassroots organizing and in utilizing online campaigns and/or marketing. Relevant skills would include:
- Strong background in communications strategy and advocacy outreach
- Strong analytical skills and a high degree of comfort with budgets and metrics/analytics
- An entrepreneurial, proactive attitude with a focus on getting results
- Comfort working in a campaign environment and undertaking nimble content development
- Strong understanding of current best practices in online communications and ability to test new concepts
- Proven capacity to think strategically about campaigns and associated tactics
- Strong writing skills and ability to quickly edit documents
- Ability to develop plans with clear goals, roles, timelines, metrics and budget estimates
- Proven track record with specific examples of roles played in different campaigns and online initiatives
idealist.org - 11 months ago