- Participate in and complete Mental Toughness (a three week orientation and training phase during which the program is introduced and final program acceptance is determined) and on-going training.
- Serve on a crew with approximately 16-20 young adults completing construction projects throughout metro-Denver.
- Serve with construction staff to become familiar with construction tools, vocabulary, and methods
- Serve alongside professional trades-people learning and assisting them in their duties onsite, including, but not limited to: plumbing, electrical, carpentry, concrete, drywall, HVAC, general labor, site cleanup, erosion control, etc.
- Fully participate in all GED or credit-recovery classes, as well as construction lab classes, life-skills workshops, computer classes, leadership development, and service-learning activities every other week.
- Fully participate in all career readiness training activities and commit to developing skills in the following competency areas: 1) problem-solving and other cognitive skills, 2) oral communication skills, 3) work ethic, 4) interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Fully participate in all safety trainings and adhere to the rules of construction safety.
- Fully participate in specific green-building trainings, as well as other advanced trainings as applicable.
- Willingness to explore post-secondary/college options post-graduation (including mandatory FAFSA completion, scheduled campus visits, etc. throughout the term of service).
- Complete one volunteer service projects outside of the MHYC daily schedule, Martin Luther King Day, January 20tht, 2014.
- Adhere to the rules and regulations specified in the MHYC Corpsmember handbooks and the YouthBuild Guidebook.
- Report to a variety of supervisors according to service site or classroom location. Direct supervision for the purpose of performance evaluations will be under the direction of the Senior Crew Supervisor, Construction Crew Leader and Senior Educator.
- Complete all testing and survey requirements, including, in addition to GED or credit-recovery courses, pre and post tests indicating academic levels.
- Complete other duties as assigned and necessary.
Mile High Youth Corps - 15 months ago