First Baptist Church (Apple Street), Burlington, NC is seeking an experienced Administrative Assistant to support its Senior Pastor and Church Office operations. This is a full-time salaried position averaging 40 hours per week. The successful candidate will be self-motivated with professional demeanor and presence, positive attitude, strong work ethic, excellent verbal and written communication and inter-personal skills. He/she must possess strong organizational skills, proficiency in office procedures and methods to ensure workflow, knowledge of office computers and software (Microsoft Office Suite proficiency; desktop publishing, Facebook and ability to manage a webpage are essential skills). This person must be able to multi-task, be flexible in their job routine, work as team member in a collaborative environment, and relate well to other church staff, lay leaders, congregants and visitors. This position reports directly to the Senior Pastor.
Office/ Administrative Support Duties
- Coordinate the preparation and production of weekly church bulletins and other printed material.
- Maintain church calendaring along with Pastor’s calendar; including scheduling of ministry engagements, meetings and events.
- Coordinate the church’s social media and web presence through timely updates.
- Coordinate special projects, initiatives and events on behalf of Senior Pastor.
- Serve as the office manager through ensuring proper systems are in place to ensure the efficient administrative and operational support is provided to FBC.
- Aid in preparation for meetings through the production of documents, handouts, reports, meals, reminders, etc., as requested by the Senior Pastor.
- Answer phone in a professional and courteous manner and routing calls to appropriate persons.
- Check and distribute incoming mail to appropriate persons.
- Prepare disbursement requests as instructed by Senior Pastor, and reconcile receipts for Senior Pastor’s expense account.
- Manage and maintain a professional and courteous office environment.
- Assist ministry leaders as necessary with clerical, administrative or communication support.
- Prepare budgets and requisition for office supplies as needed to ensure effective operation of the church office.
- Attend ministry events as necessary.
- Coordinate travel arrangements, when necessary.
- Draft correspondence and other documents on behalf of Senior Pastor.
- Oversee membership database via CMS.
- Provide Administrative Support to the Senior Pastor.
- Work to create new office systems and improve existing office systems that will better advance the mission and vision of First Baptist Church.
- Attend Administrative Staff and Senior Staff meetings as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Special Skills, Knowledge and Training - The Administrative Assistant should:
1. Must be a person of strong morals, character and integrity upholding the best ideals of our Christian community.
2. Have strong clerical skills to include: Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); Proficiency with desktop publishing, Facebook, Twitter and/or webpage skill is a preference.
3. Strong organizational skills; ability to multi-task and handle requests from multiple sources and must be a great time manager.
4. Must be a self-starter, capable of independent judgment and critical thinking.
5. Must be able to work without supervision and must be a fast learner.
6. Must be comfortable working within a church environment.
7. Must have a strong attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
8. Have excellent verbal, writing and editorial skills (proficient in English)
9. Have a caring attitude, excellent people skills, high integrity and exercise strict discretion and confidentiality.
10. Have or quickly develop a working knowledge of First Baptist Church’s organizational structure, ministries and protocols.
11. Must abide by church code of conduct for employees.
Education and Experience:
The ideal candidate will have at least 3 year of administrative support experience, and have formal secretarial training or 2 years of college/technical training.
$31,500 – $33,000 plus a Healthcare Stipend
Interested applicants may apply by forwarding resumes. This position is open until filled.