About Youth Uprising
Youth UpRising (YU) exists to build healthy, economically robust communities in East Oakland and the surrounding county by harnessing the leadership of young people, improving the systems that most impact their lives and advancing community development.
Since opening in 2005, YU has gone from eight to nearly eighty staff, emerging as East Oakland’s leading community transformation engine, praised as a national model by Attorney General Eric Holder in 2010. Housed in what was once an abandoned supermarket, YU is now a 25,000 square-foot state-of-the-art community transformation center annually serving about 3000 unduplicated Alameda County youth, ages 13-24. With a campus that includes an onsite health clinic, an internet café and a multimedia center, YU offers core programming in four areas: Education and education, health and wellness, civic engagement, and art and expression. YU also operates a social enterprise hub that creates jobs and provides industry-specific training in high-growth sectors that facilitate a young person’s transition into the workforce and nurture Education opportunity.
While YU’s mission is to cultivate community transformation, East Oakland is at the epicenter of the violence and poverty shaping the poor outcomes and disparaging perceptions plaguing Oakland and Alameda County. Yet Youth UpRising’s work is grounded in the belief that by providing comprehensive services and supports for the community’s most at-risk young people and engaging them as partners in improving the community, we can create healthy eco-systems that can change the place without displacing the people.
For more information about Youth UpRising go to: www.youthuprising.org
Youth Uprising seeks a prolific, passionate, articulate and detail-oriented Chief of Strategy and Development to lead and manage YU’s fund development. The Chief of Strategy and Development is a senior-level yet hands-on position responsible for the ongoing development of a multimillion dollar annual budget. The Chief of Strategy and Development is accountable for (1) writing and managing YU’s grants (2) prospecting for new foundation and corporate donors and (3) building a donor campaign to target major donors and involve donors at all levels.
The Chief of Strategy and Development will work closely with the President & CEO to execute and lead a comprehensive fundraising plan, and to design and implement a strategy to secure grants from foundations and government sources to augment existing resources. The Chief of Strategy and Development will take the lead in writing and submitting proposals and reports to prospective and current funders on time; maintain successful donor relations and ensure that donor information is accurate and up-to-date in YU’s database.
The Chief of Strategy and Development will also develop and steward relationships with existing and potential individual and corporate donors. Responsibilities include creation and implementation of a major gifts program and corporate giving plan; customized donor communications; donor data management and analysis; and special event donor planning.
Additionally, the Chief of Strategy and Development will solicit funding for specific programs, researching and analyzing trends to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward foundation and government support.
The Chief of Strategy and Development will serve as a trusted counselor to YU’s President & CEO, and be knowledgeable as a development resource throughout the organization. This position requires someone whose passion for Youth Uprising’s vision is matched with excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong experience in fund development, partnership building, funder relations and grant management.
- Develop and implement a multi-pronged strategy to grow annual revenue through major donors, foundation relations, and corporate and individual giving, working in collaboration with the President & CEO, board members, and fundraising consultants.
- Lead strategies and research to identify, prioritize, cultivate, solicit and steward foundation and government donors.
- Analyze and forecast YU’s fundraising potential for use in organizational financial planning.
- Create, guide and supervise the implementation of an annual fundraising plan and calendar, as well as yearly updating a five-year fundraising plan.
- Fashion and implement a variety of communications strategies to support development and fundraising initiatives, including donor solicitation materials and an annual report, in collaboration with the Community Transformation Director.
- Identify fundraising opportunities and develop strategies to take advantage of them.
- Create a long-term strategic plan which includes the development and marketing of a legacy/planned giving program.
Fundraising and Donor Relations
- Major Donor Campaign - Identify major donors and legacy prospects. Personally cultivate, solicit, and steward individual donors and prospects. Create customized communications to prospects, including appropriately personalized acknowledgements. Promote legacies.
- Corporate Giving Campaign - Create and implement a corporate giving plan, including the development and management of a corporate giving pipeline.
- Foundation and Government Grants - Identify and research foundation and government sources of funding to identify compatibility with organizational programs. Write and edit proposals (including budgets, narratives and reports) and secure funding from foundation and government donors.
- Funder Relations - Establish and maintain relationships with new and existing funders, securing and coordinating pertinent information, meetings and events. Coordinate development activities such as donor cultivation events and other events managed by outside sources. Maintain a thorough and current knowledge of YU’s programs, successes and strategies. Oversee best practices and ensure excellent customer service to all donors.
- Board and Senior Staff Stewardship - Organize and manage cultivation, solicitation and stewardship with Board and senior staff. Work with key staff to solicit funds, in-kind gifts and the donation of proceeds from various funding sources, including the socially responsible business sector.
Management and Cross-Functional Collaboration
- Create and manage the annual development budget, including events, outreach, cultivation, solicitation, personnel and operations.
- Work with program staff to solicit materials for program-specific grant income.
- Collaborate with program staff and the President & CEO to create innovative and achievable concepts to attract new partnerships and collaborations.
- Oversee grants administration, in collaboration with relevant program directors.
- Work in partnership with the Communications Team on the preparation of marketing materials, publications and newsletters to target individual donors and support development goals.
- Collaborate with staff and consultants to ensure that publications and website include donor-focused content.
- Work with YU directors to explore funding avenues for responding to the educational and training needs arising from trends in youth development and community transformation.
Administration and Reporting
- Review, maintain and upgrade systems for receiving and processing donations, recording donor information and reconciling income with YU’s financial reports.
- Maintain an accurate grants calendar and transmit this information monthly to the Senior Directors Team, the program directors, and the President & CEO.
- Monitor, record, analyze, and report on fundraising results.
- Ensure that all administrative requirements for funders, such as state registrations and audit reports, are completed in a timely fashion.
- Keep abreast of federal and state tax laws that may be relevant to major donor gift prospecting.
Qualification and Competency Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or equivalent relevant experience; Master’s degree or above preferred
- At least 7 years nonprofit development experience
- At least 5 years of experience effectively training, developing, managing and supervising a diverse team
- At least 3 years of experience managing Individual and Major Donor relationships
- Demonstrated success securing grants of at least $500k
- Community organizing and/or youth leadership development experience is a plus
Chief of Strategy and Development Competencies
Commitment to developing and maintaining collaborative team relationships in a fast-paced work environment * RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
Work effectively in collaboration with Board members, senior program staff, administrative staff, external agencies, consultants and vendors * COMMUNICATION SKILLS
Exceptional oral and written communication skills * Research, assimilate and analyze information * Compose documents and present data in a clear and concise manner * Effectively present information to top management, program staff and/or Board of Directors * PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Demonstrated experience organizing and managing events, campaigns and/or productions * Experience both planning and evaluating effectiveness * DRIVE
Enthusiastic * Highly detail-oriented * Assertive * Think critically Enjoys identifying new opportunities and raising money * TECH SAVVY
Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook required * Familiarity with donor database management * Familiarity with social media, and emerging development related technologies * Managerial Competencies
Visionary * Articulates goals and objectives and their value * Acts as a positive catalyst for change * Models desired behaviors * Able to inspire and organize others * Builds on strengths and facilitates growth in areas of weakness * Seeks input, assesses risks and makes decisions * Problem solving approach to challenges * INSIGHT/ DISCERNMENT
Able to acutely observe and insightfully perceive a situation and/or character * Emotionally intelligent and able to reflect on feelings, motives and needs * Demonstrates good instincts regarding long term impact and implications * MOTIVATIONAL POWER
Able to articulate goals, build excitement and motivate others to do their best * Able to move people beyond their comfort zone and inspire them to take strategic risks * Elicits other people’s realization of their maximum potential * Motivates people to be phenomenal team members * Instills a sense of ownership and investment in the larger vision * Delegates and builds the leadership of others * Inspires others to go ‘over and above’ and feel good about it * PATIENCE
Able to maintain composure and endure under difficult circumstances * Compassionate, especially regarding long term challenges * Able to withhold judgment/conclusion and take time to inquire into the causes of a situation * Able to manage expectations and measure success over the long haul * PROFESSIONALISM
Adheres to the highest ethical and organizational standards * Best practice approach to work * Dependability, rooted in a reliable continuity of presence, principles and actions * Continuously seeks excellence in what we do and how we do it * SENSE OF HUMOR
Able to be real * Able to see the lighter side of difficult situations * Ready to laugh * Core Competencies Require of All YU Employees
Strong work ethic * Results oriented * High energy * High integrity * Reliability * Committed to Excellence * Takes initiative and gets things done * Demonstrated success in an entrepreneurial setting, with the ability to think strategically while executing tactically within a resource constrained environment * ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS
Detail oriented * Tracks results * Demonstrates good work habits * Effectively uses their and other people’s time * Comes to tasks/meetings well prepared * Has basic computer skills * Develops efficient systems, processes and tools * FLEXIBILITY
Adapts to new information or circumstances * Willing to wear many ‘hats’ to get the job done * Creative in troubleshooting and finding solutions * Able to flourish in a fluid environment * POSTITIVE ATTITUDE
Able to maintain composure, hope and a sense of humor amid challenges * Able to remain positive and see solutions among difficult issues * Stamina * Able to manage and diffuse stress * SOCIAL SKILLS
Able to work with a variety of people * Able to communicate with respect and clarity * Open to different viewpoints * Able to disagree without animosity * Self aware * Compassionate * Collaborative * Able to give and receive candid feedback * A role model * CRITICAL THINKING
Thinks interdependently, framing the goals of one department/project within the entire vision * Sees current issues and challenges within a broad framework * Makes decisions that have the greatest long and short term positive impact * Thinks ‘outside the box’ – beyond given paradigms * Able to access resources (money, people) to advance solutions * Able to reflect on and improve both content and delivery * Open to developing awareness of the structural factors (socioeconomic context) impacting our communities * HOW TO APPLY: E-mail your resume with the position title in the subject line to: talent @ youthuprising.org
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 21, 2012
BENEFITS: Youth UpRising provides 100% employer paid premiums for Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, STD, Life/AD&D, a 401K Retirement Plan w/profit an annual profit sharing contribution, pre-taxed Flexible Spending Accounts, Commuter Benefits, and AFLAC. All employee benefits are subject to eligibility requirements.
Youth Uprising is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Youth Uprising strives to reflect the diverse community it serves.
Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.